foodeh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hey, i have recently started to recover from a serious illness and am looking to get back on track with my career.

I left school with good gcses, 3 a*, 4 as, 2 bs and a c, but had to drop out of sixth form early and thats where im stuck at.

Im 24 now and really behind but I want to do a degree but don't know where to begin.

Do i need to do A levels?

what options do I have?

if you could give me some honest advice I'd appreciate it as I nervous to sign up to the first things I find on the internet.

many thanks.
lia_r18
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Have you looked into access to HE courses? You are able to get into university with them and there are a range of pathways that you can go with them.

There is also the option of speaking to your local college and asking about being an adult leaner and which course you could do there (they should be equivalent to a level 3 course if you want to progress to university).
foodeh
Rep:
?
and univesities have no problem accepting these? im not expecting to go to cambridge ofc.and how do they compare to a levels in difficulty/time investment?
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by foodeh)
Hey, i have recently started to recover from a serious illness and am looking to get back on track with my career.

I left school with good gcses, 3 a*, 4 as, 2 bs and a c, but had to drop out of sixth form early and thats where im stuck at.

Im 24 now and really behind but I want to do a degree but don't know where to begin.

Do i need to do A levels?

what options do I have?

if you could give me some honest advice I'd appreciate it as I nervous to sign up to the first things I find on the internet.

many thanks.
Hi there foodeh

As lia_r18 says look into an Access to HE course. They're a single academic year and really set you up for coping with a degree (well, mine did!). You should be eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan too and these pay for the Access course and once you complete your undergraduate degree, the loan is written off.

Please message any questions we can help answer

Fi :horse:
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Any idea what subject you would look to take in university?
darcywrafter12
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi! I never actually made it to sixth form due to some financial issues, and I thought I'd never be able to get to university because I didn't have A-levels and I would always need to work at the same time to support myself. I ended up applying to the Open University and am now in the second year of my degree, I did my access course with them, it took 9 months and was free because I went on to do my degree with them too. I don't know what your situation is like, but I've found the OU to be really good for me to be able to work and study at the same time. I can choose between doing 2 modules per annual year (as is in brick and mortar universities) or 1 and only have between 18-20hours study a week. Obviously it involves a fair bit of self-discipline and personal motivation, but I think that's probably true of university in general. As I say, it's been great for me, as I've been able to work and travel while at the same time working on a degree, and I quite liked the fact I didn't need to move into a university dorm with a heap of 18 year olds - although I ended up living in european hostel dorms with heaps of 18 year olds instead If you're interested, take a look at their website or give them a call, I always found them very helpful and kind. Good luck with whatever you choose!
foodeh
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
Any idea what subject you would look to take in university?
earth science, geology , geography. something in that field.

I've applied for an access to univesity course at local college, hopefully starting in january.t
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by foodeh)
earth science, geology , geography. something in that field.

I've applied for an access to univesity course at local college, hopefully starting in january.t
Hi there foodeh

It's great to hear you've made the decision to take an Access to HE course and return to education. I found my course really set me up for my undergraduate degree after being out of education for a long time. Have you contacted Student Finance about an Advanced Learner Loan to pay for the course?

Fi :horse:
_.Someone_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Open University has no entry requirements, so you could quite easily do a degree there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• De Montfort University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Undergraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19
  • Regent's University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (95)
19.27%
Labour (244)
49.49%
Liberal Democrats (64)
12.98%
Green Party (30)
6.09%
Brexit Party (6)
1.22%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.61%
SNP (10)
2.03%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.61%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.22%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (3)