A-Levels_18
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Is London South Bank University good for child nursing?
Is anyone is their 1st, 2nd year or 3rd year? And how is it going?
Just need some feedbacks and information on it. Thank you!!
FutureAnnp90
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi,

I am currently a 1st year student at LSBU on the Children’s nursing course.

For someone who has HCA experience, it is a little slow as the course is designed based on students being completely new to nursing. You go through the essentials of nursing such as hand hygiene, personal protective equipment and changing and bathing babies and children.

I do think the course structure here is really good. Everyone will now be equipped with the skills and knowledge before going on placement and no essays to write through most of it.

I chose this university because of the neonatal pathway which will give me a placement every year on NICU. In terms of being a good university, it does offer placements in some world renowned hospitals such as GOSH and Evelina, Kings, UCLH and Chelsea Children’s hospital some of which will guarantee you a job without an interview on provision that you pass the course.

It really depends what you want out of your university experience. Going to as many open days as you can will help you decide which uni will be good for you.

Good luck on your nursing journey.
A-Levels_18
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by FutureAnnp90)
Hi,

I am currently a 1st year student at LSBU on the Children’s nursing course.

For someone who has HCA experience, it is a little slow as the course is designed based on students being completely new to nursing. You go through the essentials of nursing such as hand hygiene, personal protective equipment and changing and bathing babies and children.

I do think the course structure here is really good. Everyone will now be equipped with the skills and knowledge before going on placement and no essays to write through most of it.

I chose this university because of the neonatal pathway which will give me a placement every year on NICU. In terms of being a good university, it does offer placements in some world renowned hospitals such as GOSH and Evelina, Kings, UCLH and Chelsea Children’s hospital some of which will guarantee you a job without an interview on provision that you pass the course.

It really depends what you want out of your university experience. Going to as many open days as you can will help you decide which uni will be good for you.

Good luck on your nursing journey.
Hi,

Thank you for your comment. I'm just going to throw questions at you since you're a 1st-year student at the university, which would definitely make my decision of attending or not going a lot easier. Hope you don't mind!!

-So, would it be a good beginning for someone new to nursing?
-And how's the environment and people around there?
-Are the teachers good at teaching it? Do they help you?
-Some people say it's not good and there's a lot of comments on Student room saying you shouldn't pick the University and stuff- what do you think about it currently being there yourself?
-How many students are there in each class/your class?
-Do you think you enjoy it- like the atmosphere, teaching style?
FutureAnnp90
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by A-Levels_18)
Hi,

Thank you for your comment. I'm just going to throw questions at you since you're a 1st-year student at the university, which would definitely make my decision of attending or not going a lot easier. Hope you don't mind!!

-So, would it be a good beginning for someone new to nursing?
-And how's the environment and people around there?
-Are the teachers good at teaching it? Do they help you?

-Some people say it's not good and there's a lot of comments on Student room saying you shouldn't pick the University and stuff- what do you think about it currently being there yourself?
-How many students are there in each class/your class?
-Do you think you enjoy it- like the atmosphere, teaching style?
No problem I’m happy to help if I can.

The course is great for anyone new to nursing as you learn the foundations and have a theme for the year which is communication. Even if you have HCA experience, its a good refresher on how to do things properly and further strengthen your foundation of knowledge and skills.

My cohort is quite mixed. I try not to let rude and disrespectful students get to me. I just want to get on with my degree and get my band 5 job. Unfortunately, you will come across some students who are just rude and disrespectful in all universities. The course will eventually weed
them out.

There are some lecturers that are awesome and others not so much but it might be down to how you like learning as their styles are different. Uni is very much about independant study so you are not spoon fed all the knowledge you need to know. However, if you are struggling they will break it down for you a bit more and they encourage students to ask lots of questions. Just ask face to face though as you might still not understand fully and it can take them a while to get back to you via email.

Honestly, I chose this uni because its close by and it offered me what I wanted. If this was not the case, I would of chosen another uni. No matter what uni you go to, there will always be others telling you not to go there. Pick what is best for you. I heard a lot from Kings students who say that uni is not very good either and met some whilst going for interviews last year. Also they are the students that lack the most practical skills and knowledge when I am at work. They may be academically bright, but lack in practical skills. Surprisingly, most of the best students I worked with did come from LSBU... With the shortage of nurses, no hospital cares where you got your degree, you will get a job.

There are about 30 of us in the smaller lecture and seminar groups and about 15 for clinical skills.

I do enjoy clinical skills and the biology seminars. They are very interactive and teaching styles do vary so everyone can get something from the seminars. I always leave once we are done as I have my family to get back to (I am an extra mature student) so can’t comment much on the atmosphere.

So far though, it really isn’t that bad. Just gearing up now for placement and the exam in January.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
henleykt
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’m a postgrad at LSBU (not for nursing) a lot of people put it down because of its overall uni rankings. However for some courses it’s reasonably high in the tables. For my course it’s 21st in uk and 3rd in London.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 6 Dec '19
  • Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 6 Dec '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 6 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (4)
19.05%
Labour (10)
47.62%
Liberal Democrats (1)
4.76%
Green Party (3)
14.29%
Brexit Party (0)
0%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (1)
4.76%
Plaid Cymru (0)
0%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (1)
4.76%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)