The Student Room Group

Messed up my application- should I resubmit or take a gap year?

The college deadline for finishing our applications was the 8th of November so that they could attach our references in time for the official January deadline. However I've decided that I want to change my application and reapply for a completely different subject. Should I try and retract my application and quickly rush writing my new personal statement, or should I take a gap year and reapply next year? :/
that depends, what subject would you like to take? it it a competitive course and which universities would you apply to
Reply 2
Original post by foldingdeckchair
that depends, what subject would you like to take? it it a competitive course and which universities would you apply to

Primary education, which from what I've heard is pretty competitive. There's also an interview and extra tests you need to do. I feel like mentally I'd be much better off doing all of that during a gap year. My only worry about taking a gap year is my reference. My tutor really dislikes me so I doubt she'd write me one as an ex-student. Is it possible to ask her to write it now while I'm still a student and then attach it next year? Or is that not a thing :/
Original post by YasudaSayo
Primary education, which from what I've heard is pretty competitive. There's also an interview and extra tests you need to do. I feel like mentally I'd be much better off doing all of that during a gap year. My only worry about taking a gap year is my reference. My tutor really dislikes me so I doubt she'd write me one as an ex-student. Is it possible to ask her to write it now while I'm still a student and then attach it next year? Or is that not a thing :/

Hang on ....has your school actually sent your UCAS form off yet? If not, it is definitely not too late to change the subject as you have until January 15th to submit the form, regardless of any internal deadlines the school may have (they can be changed for students who need more time)
Reply 4
Original post by harrysbar
Hang on ....has your school actually sent your UCAS form off yet? If not, it is definitely not too late to change the subject as you have until January 15th to submit the form, regardless of any internal deadlines the school may have (they can be changed for students who need more time)

I'm not sure if they'd extend the deadline for me. The main issue is that I definitely don't think I have enough time before January to get experience + write another personal statement.
I'm not sure if they'd extend the deadline for me. The main issue is that I definitely don't think I have enough time before January to get experience + write another personal statement.

They can't make you submit it before you are ready, that would be highly unethical.

But if you really feel like you would benefit from taking a gap year, that is fair enough
Reply 6
They can't make you submit it before you are ready, that would be highly unethical.

But if you really feel like you would benefit from taking a gap year, that is fair enough

Ideally I would like to start uni in 2020 as I'm already a year behind and I have a terrible home life and need to escape. I will try to find out on Monday if they would extend the deadline for me and allow me to change my subject and rewrite my personal statement, but I'm really not feeling confident about it lol. Is it possible to write a good personal statement in just a few days? The one I did already took me months. :sigh:
Ideally I would like to start uni in 2020 as I'm already a year behind and I have a terrible home life and need to escape. I will try to find out on Monday if they would extend the deadline for me and allow me to change my subject and rewrite my personal statement, but I'm really not feeling confident about it lol. Is it possible to write a good personal statement in just a few days? The one I did already took me months. :sigh:

Yes it is possible and the more time we have to do things the more we delay and procrastinate - or maybe that's just me?? :s-smilie:

The point is, you can rewrite your personal statement in a few days - a lot of it can stay the same you just need to adjust it to reflect your interest in becoming a teacher. Unis will look at your predicted grades more than your personal statement so it doesn't need to be perfect. If you want to start uni in 2020 you must push yourself now to make it happen, it definitely isn't too late. Some people change their mind about the course much, much later than you (in August after the exam results even) and they still manage to switch courses in time for the next academic year so you can too.

I would work on it over the weekend and talk to your college about it on Monday. It will reassure them if you explain that you have already started on the new personal statement and can complete it soon.
Reply 8
Yes it is possible and the more time we have to do things the more we delay and procrastinate - or maybe that's just me?? :s-smilie:

The point is, you can rewrite your personal statement in a few days - a lot of it can stay the same you just need to adjust it to reflect your interest in becoming a teacher. Unis will look at your predicted grades more than your personal statement so it doesn't need to be perfect. If you want to start uni in 2020 you must push yourself now to make it happen, it definitely isn't too late. Some people change their mind about the course much, much later than you (in August after the exam results even) and they still manage to switch courses in time for the next academic year so you can too.

I would work on it over the weekend and talk to your college about it on Monday. It will reassure them if you explain that you have already started on the new personal statement and can complete it soon.

The thing is, next week is gonna be the busiest so far in terms of the workload for me (4 assignments due, one of which I have to complete this weekend) which makes things more difficult. Plus my form tutor isn't very understanding and genuinely dislikes me. But I guess I will try. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest