The Student Room Group

Should it be compulsory that KS1 children should learn about LGBTQ?

Okay i have a new question.
When teaching lgbtq in primary schools becomes compulsory should parents have the choice to opt their child out of it because they dont know what and how their child is being taught?
What are your opinions?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Well I mean the straight ideal is forced upon kids since they’re like able to do anything like fairytales and also when people match up children and say oh they’re cute to like toddlers like oh that girl likes that boy and even in movies for children it’s always a straight couple and so if that happens to them why couldn’t they also be taught about lgbtq like they’re casually growing up with all the straight ideals it just doesn’t make sense to think they can’t learn about homosexuality in the same way unless of course your bringing ur children up to think homosexuality isn’t apart of the ‘norm’. Which is just straight up homophobic and stuff like terrorism is different than this because this is just basic human nature and it isn’t an addition to anything they already learn it’s just giving them a more open minded view whilst learning all this stuff
Erm I don’t think so either. In fact kids should be taught about it in year 7/8. Coz that’s when I first learnt about lgbtq and when everybody started to know more about it. But they were always spoutedhomophobic language coz they themselves didn’t know much about it and how to handle it you know? Kids are small. I would’ve Not liked to have been taught it as a little kid and wouldn’t want my kids to be taught it when young. But high schools different it’s when you see specks of the real world. So I think high school is when they’ll teAch about it
Reply 3
Original post by 277263738
Well I mean the straight ideal is forced upon kids since they’re like able to do anything like fairytales and also when people match up children and say oh they’re cute to like toddlers like oh that girl likes that boy and even in movies for children it’s always a straight couple and so if that happens to them why couldn’t they also be taught about lgbtq like they’re casually growing up with all the straight ideals it just doesn’t make sense to think they can’t learn about homosexuality in the same way unless of course your bringing ur children up to think homosexuality isn’t apart of the ‘norm’. Which is just straight up homophobic and stuff like terrorism is different than this because this is just basic human nature and it isn’t an addition to anything they already learn it’s just giving them a more open minded view whilst learning all this stuff

don't you think that for a 6 year old it would be too much to comprehend? i get after 11 or 12 learning about it because you understand and are kore mature...
Original post by BreezyM
don't you think that for a 6 year old it would be too much to comprehend? i get after 11 or 12 learning about it because you understand and are kore mature...

How would it be too much to comprehend? Unless you're exceptionally thick the notion that some boys like other boys is not really a hard one. Nobody is saying we should teach young children the in's and out's of sex of any type.
If you can't comprehend the concept of LGBT at that age then you should be considered for special education because you are clearly mentally deficient.

Your argument is wrong because the new guidelines in schools are to teach children about the 9 protected characteristics outlined in the Equality Act 2010. So the other problems you listed will also be taught, that is checkmate.
Given that all children will be bombarded with straight imagery from birth, I don't see any major issue in simply telling them that LGBT+ exist.
Yes children should be taught about all types of families. Not just LGBTQ+ but how some children might have one mum etc. It's not about the sexual stuff obviously it's about it being okay not to be part of some 'ideal' family with a mum, dad and 2.5 children. Even if homophobes block education on it, they'll be seeing same sex couple around and probably have friends with same sex parents anyway. So they can either learn it from an agreed and standard teaching or be taught it from LGBTQ+ people :h:
Original post by BreezyM
i personally don't agree with this because at this young age children aren't thinking about this sort of stuff. It may be an issue in the wider world but so are other things such as racism, islamaphobia, sexism however these things aren't discussed at a young age as children aren't mentally prepared to learn about this. We don't teach children sex ed that early so why this?
What are your opinions?

Could you please show me the curriculum and resources that see LGBT being "promoted" in KS1?

If you look carefully you will find that the only thing that is being said is that all types of relationships are ok and it is ok to be friends with girls and ok to be friends with boys. At KS1 it is more about friendship than sex.
Original post by BreezyM
i personally don't agree with this because at this young age children aren't thinking about this sort of stuff. It may be an issue in the wider world but so are other things such as racism, islamaphobia, sexism however these things aren't discussed at a young age as children aren't mentally prepared to learn about this. We don't teach children sex ed that early so why this?
What are your opinions?

But children are in a way. In fairy tales it's all about a prince and a princess and in TV shows and films it's generally a girl and a boy. Luckily there are more diverse stories out there now but they're not in the mainstream media. The earlier we teach about different types of families the more normal it will be and reduce homophobia.

No they don't learn about racism or sexism like they won't learn about homophobia. They'll be learning about different religions, races, relationship types, how girls and boys and any gender can be whatever they want to be. They don't teach the negatives, they'll naturally teach the positives and encourage general awareness and acceptance. That's the best way to reduce raising bigots. Sadly by the time they're in later primary school or secondary school it's often too late.
Original post by BreezyM

Not at all. I remember finding girls pretty when I was 5 and I know that many gay people knew from a very young age. The damage is done when how you feel does not match up to how those in influence tell you how you should feel.
Original post by ByEeek
Could you please show me the curriculum and resources that see LGBT being "promoted" in KS1?

If you look carefully you will find that the only thing that is being said is that all types of relationships are ok and it is ok to be friends with girls and ok to be friends with boys. At KS1 it is more about friendship than sex.

Exactly. I haven't seen specific session plans but it would be kept quite general and vague for younger children. It's more awareness that some people may have one parent or a mummy and a mummy etc and all of that is okay.

There's no point hiding any of it. They'll soon find out anyway. Its probablt best for them to learn about it from a trained teacher than a friend.
Reply 12
Original post by AJ126y
How would it be too much to comprehend? Unless you're exceptionally thick the notion that some boys like other boys is not really a hard one. Nobody is saying we should teach young children the in's and out's of sex of any type.

But they won't only be taught about how a boy likes a boy etc. its also things like a boy anting to be a girl, a person wanting to identify as nothing, a person who doesnt love any one etc and that will be too hard for a child to understand.
Reply 13
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Yes children should be taught about all types of families. Not just LGBTQ+ but how some children might have one mum etc. It's not about the sexual stuff obviously it's about it being okay not to be part of some 'ideal' family with a mum, dad and 2.5 children. Even if homophobes block education on it, they'll be seeing same sex couple around and probably have friends with same sex parents anyway. So they can either learn it from an agreed and standard teaching or be taught it from LGBTQ+ people :h:

I agree with that about all family types wether gay straight or single etc but teaching them in depth is a bjt too much because they do that in my school in secondary and its a huge controversy
Original post by BreezyM
But they won't only be taught about how a boy likes a boy etc. its also things like a boy anting to be a girl, a person wanting to identify as nothing, a person who doesnt love any one etc and that will be too hard for a child to understand.

As someone who works with children and it's literally part of my job to assess their understanding... children understand a lot more than we think. Children are often much more kind and accepting than homophobic and transphobic adults.
Reply 15
Original post by ByEeek

I watched it on the news. when the protests where happening? maybe you can find it on bbc news website?
Reply 16
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Exactly. I haven't seen specific session plans but it would be kept quite general and vague for younger children. It's more awareness that some people may have one parent or a mummy and a mummy etc and all of that is okay.

There's no point hiding any of it. They'll soon find out anyway. Its probablt best for them to learn about it from a trained teacher than a friend.

If that's the case then it may not be too bad then.
Original post by BreezyM
I agree with that about all family types wether gay straight or single etc but teaching them in depth is a bjt too much because they do that in my school in secondary and its a huge controversy

If they started teaching stuff earlier (more generally) it would be less controversial in the long run and just become normal and accepting. Just like how children are taught not to kick and bully they need to learn to be inclusive. It's illegal to discriminate due to the equality act 2010 so it's in their best interest to learn the rules and law from an early age so they don't trip up later in life.
Reply 18
I don't think they should be taught about it all tbh

If you are truly LGBT then it will manifest itself sooner or later. No need to ram it down impressionable kids throats..

I hear news stories of like 5 years demanding a sex change saying they're trans.

It's not on imo. Wait till they're at least 16 before "teaching" them about that stuff
Original post by BreezyM
I watched it on the news. when the protests where happening? maybe you can find it on bbc news website?

No. What you saw on the news were lots of parents who had added 2 and 2 and got 5.

The PSHE Association is paid by the government to provide advice and resources to schools. Their curriculum map is here and provides an overview of learning outcomes at each key stage.
https://www.pshe-association.org.uk/curriculum-and-resources/resources/mapping-pshe-association-programme-study-new

Have a read and tell me where abouts in this document non-heterosexual relationships are explicitly promoted?

Quick Reply

Latest