Is it possible to get a Master's with an ordinary BA

Watch
ucas_icecream
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
In other words, is BA (Hons) a requirement for a Master's? I'm in the process of applying for a course at the undergraduate level and I'm not sure if I want to further my studies after getting a degree. Is it worth choosing a course that awards a BA (Hons) at the expense of one that awards a BA but that I like more?
grKiro
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Masters possible, masters from Top 30 university, not possible
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Out of interest what is the course that isn't hons? My understanding is all UK degrees (if achieved above a 3rd) is honours, but Scottish universities don't have hons in the title but are the equivalent of one.
ucas_icecream
Rep:
?
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
Out of interest what is the course that isn't hons? My understanding is all UK degrees (if achieved above a 3rd) is honours, but Scottish universities don't have hons in the title but are the equivalent of one.
It's English Literature with Creative Writing at UEA (https://www2.uea.ac.uk/study/undergr...eative-writing). Someone from another forum mentioned that it does have honours, but I'm not sure since it's not stated on the page itself.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by ucas_icecream)
In other words, is BA (Hons) a requirement for a Master's? I'm in the process of applying for a course at the undergraduate level and I'm not sure if I want to further my studies after getting a degree. Is it worth choosing a course that awards a BA (Hons) at the expense of one that awards a BA but that I like more?
I'm not sure you can apply for a non-Honours degree in England or Wales, you can only fail onto one - in which case no, there would be no reasonable prospect of getting onto any Masters course worth it's money.

Scotland allows you to graduate with an ordinary degree, without completing the final honours year, but again, that is not going to get you onto a Masters programme, in the normal course of affairs.

Are you sure you are reading the course details correctly, because you are going to have to search hard to find a non-honours course?

Exceptional circumstances aside (like years of professional experience) and Honours degree i a pre-requisite for a Masters.
maachu_pichuu
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Getting onto a masters without a 2:2 is near on impossible. Ideally you need a 2:1 to stand a chance.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
It's English Literature with Creative Writing at UEA (https://www2.uea.ac.uk/study/undergr...eative-writing). Someone from another forum mentioned that it does have honours, but I'm not sure since it's not stated on the page itself.
It doesn't seem to be stated on most of their degree pages, unless it's joint. You can ask them to be sure, but they are all Honours degrees.
ucas_icecream
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
It doesn't seem to be stated on most of their degree pages, unless it's joint. You can ask them to be sure, but they are all Honours degrees.
I'll do that. Thanks!
chaotic1328
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
This might be the case now, but for people wanting to do a Master's after a long break from education, there were certainly non-honours degrees offered back in the early 1990s. These were NOT failed, or getting low mark (worse than a Third, as a Third is still an honours classification) in an honours course, but distinct degree programmes that were called 'Ordinary', or 'Pass' degrees. They also had their classifications; Distinction, Merit and Pass. I suppose that a Merit would be equivalent to 2:1 if pressed to compare.

Also, the entry requirement for a taught Master's at most more established universities being a 2:1 these days is likely to be a result of grade inflation (I think most post-92 institutions will accept a 2:2). During the 1990s, if I recall correctly, most institutions list their entry requirements for a taught Master's at 2:2, and a 2:1 for a research Master's (M/Phil) that would get upgraded to a PhD after the first year.
C'est me
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
You can enter a Postgraduate Diploma in your area of study which is a one year course available at most universities. If you achieve high grades at the end you will be admitted to most masters and might even be able to enter straight into second year if the master degree is a two year program. Each university has its own system so it would be worth emailing graduate admissions at the university you'd like to do your masters in to find out which entry pathways apply to them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (10)
19.23%
I'm not sure (2)
3.85%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (15)
28.85%
I have already dropped out (2)
3.85%
I'm not a current university student (23)
44.23%

Watched Threads