Why no thread on equal pay day 2019 Watch

Just my opinion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So, plenty of feminists post here. Why did UK equal pay day go uncommented upon?
According to The Fawcett Society the 10th of Oct is the date that women start working for free because of the gender pay gap. The argument being it is down to sexism.
I've noticed how this has gone quiet on other forums including feminist ones, compared to past years.
Could it be because the legislation the government brought in that meant employers of 250 or more had to to declare their gender pay gap. The downside seems to be that some of the employers that have gone on for years about this gap being down to sexism and not free choices taken by women and men, are some of the employers that have gaps in double figures.
The BBC, The Guardian, TheLabour Party, The liberal party , all have pay gaps in double figures.
Halfa dozen of the top unions who have all campaigned on the issue, in fact one of them (the GMB iirc) had a gap of over 30%.
Do the the embarrassing stats explain why it's a quiet on the pay gap front?
Ellim
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don’t have anything of genuine intelligence to add but: I’m so glad I’m not the only one who noticed that this passed without the commentary it’s had in previous years!

I doubt it would be because of any specific legislation brought in.

Having said all that the thing that has always annoyed me is that the gender pay gap is presented as a collective when it isn’t. WoC “stop” getting paid relative to white men afar earlier than white women. This doesn’t even start to take other important nuance into account. That’s just my own personal gripe though.
Just my opinion
Rep:
?
Are you saying it is down to sexism?
Tall men earn more than short men.
Slim women earn more than fat women
Is this down to sizeism?
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I would love to think its because the issue has been put to bed, and after all the reports came out and (to my knowledge) didn't actually show any pay-discrimination for equal work... we can move on to the really important issues around womens pay..

But I think its more that the issue just isn't trendy at the moment. Issues come in and go out of fashion, and you see it on here all the time. Last year it was all the big rage with people waiting on the reports and the high profile BBC pay cases.. this year not so much. Its still there though, and i've seen multiple interviewers with feminists/politicians still pushing the same figures that were outdated even a few years ago.. it will come round the circle again and be trendy soon.
Just my opinion
Rep:
?
I went on a feminist web site forum that in 2017 before the first result were riding high on it.
The site then would have thread after thread banging on about it all being down to sexism and when the government were about to report the figures on the "earnings" gap there was (I'm paraphrasing but) loads of "This'll show them, they won't be able to deny it now"
Cue last year's report, no small amount of awkward embarrassment for the reasons on my post above. Now this year and there hasn't been a single thread on it, neither in the feminist forums nor here on the news forum I think possibly indicating how the argument has become hard for them to substantiate.
When you see feminists challenged online whether women are more societally oppressed than men they huff and puff and the"pay gap" is one of their go to arguments.
I get the impression they want it to go away.
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Do we know anything about the gap in working hours between men and women, the feminazis always bury that one when pushing their self-serving narrative. We can't blame them, even the most passable talents are being artificially pushed up and taking home vastly inflated pay packets on the back of this crude methodology they managed to impose on this feeble society of ours. They're earning big time out of it, kudos to that. Not terribly competent some of them, inevitably.

All we have to do is keep an eye on things, the moment they're earning a penny more than us blokes we'll be out in the streets. By the way, saw a report the other day showing that Asian people in this country earn a couple of quid p/h more than us honkies, now THAT is symptomatic of a social wrong and injustice for which there is no possible justification in the modern world. Just kidding, well done to them. They probably work longer hours too.
Just my opinion
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Only 5 posts in reply.
I think we have our answer.
itscourtchicks
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I never even knew there was an Equal Pay Day. I was well aware, as everyone is, of International Women’s Day, which I proudly partake in mostly as a sign of sisterhood and supporting each other, and for women and girls in LEDCs etc (not because of current extreme beliefs).
Imo, it’s a shame that even with evidence that disproves their views, they want to remain focused on this and not on other important issues such as FGM, child marriage and young teenage pregnancy.
That’s not to say the pay gap doesn’t exist of course: from what I know it exists in many LEDCs and developing countries, and perhaps (although quite rare) some companies in the private sector.
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Just my opinion)
I've noticed how this has gone quiet on other forums including feminist ones, compared to past years.
Because it has been established that there is no gender pay gap.

Men tends to work more hours, in more dangerous and more eitheri physically or mentally demanding jobs.

On average, males make more idiots and geniuses, and are physically stronger than women.

So at jobs that don't require brains, mans will always earn more (on average), as thery are (on average) physically stronger and more likely to take a job that involves risks for health and life. At jobs that require brains, men will also always earn more (on average), as there are a little bit more very intelligent men than meny intelligent women, and men are more often interested in things rather than in people, so even more ofthen they will make money as engineers, banksters... I mean bankers, and so on.

Unless some specific means to discriminate men, will be taken by the government.
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Take any given street in the land and there'll be a pay-gap between both sides, this equality business is better described as one of sameness. Last time I looked, the gap has been fairly consistent for a couple of decades after narrowing as a natural consequence of the progressive integration of women into academia and other assorted organic factors and is better explained as a reflection of material differences from hours worked to motherhood and the inevitable historical legacy dictated by women sending out the blokes to do all the hard work in pre-historic times.

When it comes to figures, only the ONS will do. Don't bother looking at anything else, it's biased if anything different and the variations between charities, think-thanks and feminist websites and what they report can vary some. Read the ONS report and nothing else, it's all one needs to get a clear view. As much as it gets. anyway.
Last edited by z-hog; 2 weeks ago
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Just my opinion)
Only 5 posts in reply.
I think we have our answer.
Which is?
Just my opinion
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Which is?
What I posted in my OP ----I've noticed how this has gone quiet on other forums including feminist ones, compared to past years.

Could it be because the legislation the government brought in that meant employers of 250 or more had to to declare their gender pay gap. The downside seems to be that some of the employers that have gone on for years about this gap being down to sexism and not free choices taken by women and men, are some of the employers that have gaps in double figures.
The BBC, The Guardian, TheLabour Party, The liberal party , all have pay gaps in double figures.
Halfa dozen of the top unions who have all campaigned on the issue, in fact one of them (the GMB iirc) had a gap of over 30%.
Do the embarrassing stats explain why it's a quiet on the pay gap front?

Where are the feminists?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (197)
18.6%
Labour (548)
51.75%
Liberal Democrats (143)
13.5%
Green Party (58)
5.48%
Brexit Party (15)
1.42%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.38%
SNP (17)
1.61%
Plaid Cymru (5)
0.47%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (7)
0.66%
SDLP (1)
0.09%
Ulster Unionist (4)