gossipboy23
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Which uni is better for optometry; aston or huddersfield?
Dancer2001
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aston. The course has been run for a long time there. It’s quite new at Huddersfield and I’m not even sure if it’s fully accredited yet. I don’t think there is any difference is grade requirements though.
Last edited by Dancer2001; 1 year ago
gossipboy23
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Dancer2001)
Aston. The course has been run for a long time there. It’s quite new at Huddersfield and I’m not even sure if it’s fully accredited yet. I don’t think there is any difference is grade requirements though.
How is teaching at Huddersfield in general?
University of Huddersfield
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gossipboy23)
How is teaching at Huddersfield in general?
Hi gossipboy23

How are you?

Our Optometry course at Huddersfield is a newly accredited course that offers a 3 year BSc (Hons) like many of the existing optometry departments. As a new provider of Optometry, Huddersfield has provisional approval from the GOC. Provision approval is the standard process for all new optometry courses that allows the GOC to ensure that the required standards are met as the first cohort of students progress through the course.

As for teaching, we do have the TEF Gold award, but to give you a better picture of what our students think we have lots of blogs on university life, Huddersfield, and campus. You can read about this here: http://blogs.hud.ac.uk/students/

If you have more questions about our Optometry course, please feel free to email the admissions team on: [email protected]
They will be able to answer any questions you have.
You can always give me a shout on here too.

I hope this helps.

Speak soon,
Harriette
Gurdeepthelegend
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by University of Huddersfield)
Hi gossipboy23

How are you?

Our Optometry course at Huddersfield is a newly accredited course that offers a 3 year BSc (Hons) like many of the existing optometry departments. As a new provider of Optometry, Huddersfield has provisional approval from the GOC. Provision approval is the standard process for all new optometry courses that allows the GOC to ensure that the required standards are met as the first cohort of students progress through the course.

As for teaching, we do have the TEF Gold award, but to give you a better picture of what our students think we have lots of blogs on university life, Huddersfield, and campus. You can read about this here: http://blogs.hud.ac.uk/students/

If you have more questions about our Optometry course, please feel free to email the admissions team on: [email protected]

I hope this helps.

Speak soon,
Harriette
I heard you guys only accept 30 uk applicants for optometry is this true?
Dancer2001
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi gossipboy23

How are you?

I hope this helps.

Speak soon,
Harriette
What would happen if the course didn’t get full GOC approval? Would the degree essentially be useless? Is there a plan where the students can take extra exams somewhere else or something to get full GOC membership?
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Gurdeepthelegend)
I heard you guys only accept 30 uk applicants for optometry is this true?
Hello Gurdeepthelegend

How are you?

We are currently have 30 places available, subject to change.
For more information about the course itself, check out our course page here: https://courses.hud.ac.uk/2020-21/fu...metry-bsc-hons

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Harriette
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dancer2001)
What would happen if the course didn’t get full GOC approval? Would the degree essentially be useless? Is there a plan where the students can take extra exams somewhere else or something to get full GOC membership?
Hi Dancer2001

I hope you're well.

I've had a quick chat with the course leader, John Siderov, and he has said:

'Thank you for your questions. The GOC wishes to ensure that current standards for registration as an optometrist are upheld for all courses including new courses such as ours at Huddersfield that have provisional approval. As such the GOC makes periodic visits to ensure that standards are met. Any deficits if present, will be highlighted and expected to be resolved promptly. In this way, the GOC maintains close surveillance of new programmes to ensure that students are not disadvantaged should problems arise. It is important to note that the University of Huddersfield has invested considerably (both in terms of new buildings, new equipment and new staff) to ensure that optometry is successful.'

I hope this answers your questions?
Let me know if there's anything else we can help with.

Thanks,
Harriette
Leemx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi Dancer2001

I hope you're well.

I've had a quick chat with the course leader, John Siderov, and he has said:

'Thank you for your questions. The GOC wishes to ensure that current standards for registration as an optometrist are upheld for all courses including new courses such as ours at Huddersfield that have provisional approval. As such the GOC makes periodic visits to ensure that standards are met. Any deficits if present, will be highlighted and expected to be resolved promptly. In this way, the GOC maintains close surveillance of new programmes to ensure that students are not disadvantaged should problems arise. It is important to note that the University of Huddersfield has invested considerably (both in terms of new buildings, new equipment and new staff) to ensure that optometry is successful.'

I hope this answers your questions?
Let me know if there's anything else we can help with.

Thanks,
Harriette
By which year will the course become accredited?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (418)
56.56%
I don't have everything I need (321)
43.44%

Watched Threads