The Student Room Group

What would happen to Rest of UK students if Scotland gained independence?

Would they try to assure that Scottish independence wouldn't impact these students in any way?
I don’t think Scotland will gain independence, but if they did the government would probably try and hide it up
If they did I hope that financially they are successful or the EU would treat them like they treated Greece.
But without the sunshine.
Reply 3
Original post by Treetop321
Would they try to assure that Scottish independence wouldn't impact these students in any way?

Like leaving the EU its probable that an agreement would be made on that particular issue since it is not politically sensitive. Tuition from other nations is classed as an export once they leave so it's good for the economy and makes governments sound nice.

It is worth saying that tuition fee entitlement is based on residency though. I myself am born in Scotland but when looking at studying it turned out i had to be resident for 3 years prior to receive the discount. Whether that remains or not would depend whether the agreement was bi-lateral or through ERASMUS (assuming we remain partnered post-Brexit). I suspect the former since it would make UK universities more money.
Reply 4
The universities in Scotland treat students from the rest of the UK as a bit of a cash-cow. They get squat-all from Scottish and EU domiciled students. I imagine they'd probably want to continue doing that in much the same way as now, albeit you'd probably need a student visa.

In terms of equal treatment, it's utterly absurd that students from any part of the EU other than England, Wales and Northern Ireland get into universities in Scotland under the same conditions as students domiciled in Scotland. That being said, the student finance situation in the rest of the UK is generally (considerably) better than what Scottish students get.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending