Should I take psychology or law for a level? Watch

Griffby
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I'm in year 11 and it's that time of year where I need to choose a levels. I'm certain of taking Film Studies and Criminology but I'm unclear on my third option.
I know I want to go into Law Enforcement but I don't know which subject would be more more beneficial for that career path. I asked the criminology teacher and they said they would be equally useful, so that doesn't really help me much :/
Could anyone be kind enough to enlighten me on what each course is like so I know if it's boring or extremely hard ect..?
Holly jade
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Griffby)
So I'm in year 11 and it's that time of year where I need to choose a levels. I'm certain of taking Film Studies and Criminology but I'm unclear on my third option.
I know I want to go into Law Enforcement but I don't know which subject would be more more beneficial for that career path. I asked the criminology teacher and they said they would be equally useful, so that doesn't really help me much :/
Could anyone be kind enough to enlighten me on what each course is like so I know if it's boring or extremely hard ect..?
Either would be useful, honestly I would drop film studies and do law, criminology, psychology as film studies isn’t related to law enforcement at all and is considered an “easy” subject by a lot of people, but obviously it’s up to you and what you enjoy the most and find the easiest
Griffby
Rep:
?
(Original post by Holly jade)
Either would be useful, honestly I would drop film studies and do law, criminology, psychology as film studies isn’t related to law enforcement at all and is considered an “easy” subject by a lot of people, but obviously it’s up to you and what you enjoy the most and find the easiest
The main reason as to why I wanted to do film studies was because I've always enjoyed film and that sort of thing, however I do agree that it isn't related to what I ultimately want to do, and it's unlikely that I'm going to do a career in film.
Thank you for the advise, I'll definitely consider it ! :-)
Holly jade
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Griffby)
The main reason as to why I wanted to do film studies was because I've always enjoyed film and that sort of thing, however I do agree that it isn't related to what I ultimately want to do, and it's unlikely that I'm going to do a career in film.
Thank you for the advise, I'll definitely consider it ! :-)
I think it depends on whether you want to have a slightly less stressful workload at A level or not, I think whatever you do with these combinations of subjects will work out tbh, good luck!
chwedl
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Laws good if you're good at reasoning and logic. Psychology (on my course anyway) has a lot of content so is more about memorising info than actually understanding. Both are interesting subjects so just pick the one most appealing to you if they both have equal bearing in usefulness!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your A-level choices will make no difference whatsoever in pursuing a career in law enforcement. Take film if you wish; as for law vs psychology, pick whichever interests you more. Law enforcement isn't "Criminal Minds" so you will never use any content from A-level Psychology (which also has nothing to do with that kind of psychology by and large), and A-level Law is about 50% socio-legal studies and the little actual black letter law you learn isn't going to really make any difference in pursuing such a career (as you will be learning the law as from the specific perspective of someone working in law enforcement).
Griffby
Rep:
?
(Original post by chwedl)
Laws good if you're good at reasoning and logic. Psychology (on my course anyway) has a lot of content so is more about memorising info than actually understanding. Both are interesting subjects so just pick the one most appealing to you if they both have equal bearing in usefulness!
Okay thank you for the good insight , this is my first time posting and the advise being given is really useful!
Griffby
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Your A-level choices will make no difference whatsoever in pursuing a career in law enforcement. Take film if you wish; as for law vs psychology, pick whichever interests you more. Law enforcement isn't "Criminal Minds" so you will never use any content from A-level Psychology (which also has nothing to do with that kind of psychology by and large), and A-level Law is about 50% socio-legal studies and the little actual black letter law you learn isn't going to really make any difference in pursuing such a career (as you will be learning the law as from the specific perspective of someone working in law enforcement).
Thank you! I didn't realise I'd get this much feedback and it's been really beneficial for helping me choose, I'll probably stick with film studies and choose law. But of course, there is still a bit of time and I may still change my mind again
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (89)
12.97%
1 (89)
12.97%
2 (88)
12.83%
18.95%
22.3%
19.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise