Angular displacement and angular velocity Watch

Abdullah11145
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
A telescope gives a clear view of a distant object when the angular displacement b/w the edges of the object is 9.7x10^-6.
The moon is approximately 3.8km from the earth. Estimate the minimum diameter of a circular crater on the Moon's surface that can be seen using the telescope.

Thanks 😊
hthain14
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Use Newton‘s gravitation equation to find the force acting between the Earth and the Moon. Sub this value into the equation for centripetal force (in terms of m, w, and r) and rearrange to find r. Then multiply that by 2.

Never seen a question like this, but this is my best guess. Good luck!
hthain14
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Use Newton‘s gravitation equation to find the force acting between the Earth and the Moon. Sub this value into the equation for centripetal force (in terms of m, w, and r) and rearrange to find r. Then multiply that by 2.

Never seen a question like this, but this is my best guess. Good luck!
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Abdullah11145)
A telescope gives a clear view of a distant object when the angular displacement b/w the edges of the object is 9.7x10^-6.
The moon is approximately 3.8km from the earth. Estimate the minimum diameter of a circular crater on the Moon's surface that can be seen using the telescope.

Thanks 😊
Is that a value you've calculated?

realistic values for the earth - moon distance are between approx 350000km and 410000km

question also appears to be about angular resolution (i.e. optics) and not angular velocity
Abdullah11145
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
Is that a value you've calculated?

realistic values for the earth - moon distance are between approx 350000km and 410000km

question also appears to be about angular resolution (i.e. optics) and not angular velocity
No it's about angular displacement and its located in the circular motion's chapter
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
OK, you'd have to work out what the short side of a triangle with 2 long sides measuring 3.8km and a small angle of 9.7x10^-6.(units?) is.
Abdullah11145
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
OK, you'd have to work out what the short side of a triangle with 2 long sides measuring 3.8km and a small angle of 9.7x10^-6.(units?) is.
It's answer is 3.7 km so I guess by using formula arc=A.displacement * distance between earth and moon.
S=3.8*10^5 * 9.7x10^-6= 3.7 km
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Suffolk
    Undergraduate Open Day - Ipswich Main Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 9 Dec '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (155)
19.35%
Labour (407)
50.81%
Liberal Democrats (109)
13.61%
Green Party (42)
5.24%
Brexit Party (11)
1.37%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.5%
SNP (14)
1.75%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.5%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.75%
SDLP (1)
0.12%
Ulster Unionist (4)