PastelColours
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Just a quick question,
on snap revise is says that 'cells in G0 phase may: differentiate' so is it that cells go into G0 to differentiate or already existing differentiated cells go into G0 phase?
thank you
AfricanDream
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by PastelColours)
Just a quick question,
on snap revise is says that 'cells in G0 phase may: differentiate' so is it that cells go into G0 to differentiate or already existing differentiated cells go into G0 phase?
thank you
Hi just dragged out my advanced higher bio BrightRed textbook(additional help) from a few years ago( I did advanced higher in 2017-2018 and got an A) which says:

"If a go-ahead signal is not reached at the G1 checkpoint, the cell may switch to a non-dividing state called the G0 phase. In the G0 phase, cyclin proteins are not produced, so the cell has left the cell cycle and is said to be 'resting'. The cell will still be active and maybe a fully functioning differentiated cell, but it is no longer concerned with the business of cell division- most of your cells are currently in this 'resting' phase. G0 can return to the cell cycle if conditions change."

I think this means( also thinking back) that cells in the G0 phase do not differentiate at that point, as they are in a non-dividing state at this point- they may already be differentiated or potentially differentiate if they rejoin the cell cycle.

Hope that helps, would double check with your teacher though. Are you a student in England? As a Scottish student I found scholar at heriot-watt( free online resource) very helpful for science and maths( especially advanced biology and chemistry)- we were given usernames and registered by our school however, it looks like you can log in using your Glow details( provided you have this) or possibly try it as a guest.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (25)
21.55%
No (91)
78.45%

Watched Threads