The Student Room Group

Is Warwick good for engineering?

Is the Warwick Engineering department considered top 5 in the UK? Assuming 5th or lower. I'm in my first year at Warwick for engineering and a lot of students have told me it's worse for engineering than I thought. I got A*A*A at A levels and I've been told I should be at a 'better' uni for engineering.

Does this have truth to it? Or am I doing okay in that sense?
Original post by Ali1712521
Is the Warwick Engineering department considered top 5 in the UK? Assuming 5th or lower. I'm in my first year at Warwick for engineering and a lot of students have told me it's worse for engineering than I thought. I got A*A*A at A levels and I've been told I should be at a 'better' uni for engineering.

You need to stop letting these thoughts mess with you. Warwick is really good for engineering. Don’t let others make you doubt your decisions.
It's true that you could have aimed higher, Warwick is great but UCL, Imperial, and Oxbridge are a league above. The avg entrance grade for your course was only AAB compared to A*AA at the other two, and 100% of applicants to Warwick engineering received offers compared to 30%-5% at the other schools. But ultimately it's you that determines your outcome in your life, not just the University name.

Warwick is a good university for engineering. BUT you can go to a better university with those grades. You can go to the University of Cambridge.

University of Cambridge entry requirements for engineering-https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/engineering

In my opinion get a first now that you are in your first year. Get more than 70%, drop out and apply to Cambridge for first year entry.

What do theses 'experts' know? Engineering degrees are different. Do you want to work as an Engineer? If so then RG is totally irrelevant - a year in industry is more important along with an accredited degree. None of the unis mentioned do well in Formula Student which is the premier competition: https://www.imeche.org/events/formula-student

"Formula Student (FS) is Europe's most established educational engineering competition and celebrated its 20th anniversary in 2018. Backed by industry and high-profile engineers such Patron, Ross Brawn OBE, the competition aims to develop enterprising and innovative young engineers and encourage more young people to take up a career in engineering.

The project usually forms part of a degree-level project and is viewed by the motorsport industry as the standard for engineering graduates to meet, transitioning them from university to the workplace. It is a kite-mark for real-world engineering experience, combining practical engineering experience with soft skills including business planning and project management."
Original post by emily_000
Warwick is a good university for engineering. BUT you can go to a better university with those grades. You can go to the University of Cambridge.

University of Cambridge entry requirements for engineering-https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/engineering

In my opinion get a first now that you are in your first year. Get more than 70%, drop out and apply to Cambridge for first year entry.

It's too late for next year - this will 'waste' two years - Cambridge is not THE place to go anyway.

Top 5 according to who? Which newspaper? They each vary, and vary yearly too.
Reply 7
Original post by emily_000

In my opinion get a first now that you are in your first year. Get more than 70%, drop out and apply to Cambridge for first year entry

This is still not confirmed by any means
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
What do theses 'experts' know? Engineering degrees are different. Do you want to work as an Engineer? If so then RG is totally irrelevant - a year in industry is more important along with an accredited degree. None of the unis mentioned do well in Formula Student which is the premier competition: https://www.imeche.org/events/formula-student

"Formula Student (FS) is Europe's most established educational engineering competition and celebrated its 20th anniversary in 2018. Backed by industry and high-profile engineers such Patron, Ross Brawn OBE, the competition aims to develop enterprising and innovative young engineers and encourage more young people to take up a career in engineering.

The project usually forms part of a degree-level project and is viewed by the motorsport industry as the standard for engineering graduates to meet, transitioning them from university to the workplace. It is a kite-mark for real-world engineering experience, combining practical engineering experience with soft skills including business planning and project management."

Yes, I've spoken to people and heard that in engineering the name of the Uni matters lessz and experience and networking are more important. Is that a fair way of looking at it?
Reply 9
Original post by Muttley79

The project usually forms part of a degree-level project and is viewed by the motorsport industry as the standard for engineering graduates to meet, transitioning them from university to the workplace. It is a kite-mark for real-world engineering experience, combining practical engineering experience with soft skills including business planning and project management.do yo

Do you think I should join this as soon as possible? I'm quite worried about knowing absolutely nothing of use to the team being so early on and all.
Yes, I've spoken to people and heard that in engineering the name of the Uni matters lessz and experience and networking are more important. Is that a fair way of looking at it?

You need to actually have some hands-on experience and to have used industry standard software. Just doing 'theory' isn't enough ...
Do you think I should join this as soon as possible? I'm quite worried about knowing absolutely nothing of use to the team being so early on and all.

Yes - you can support so you have more idea next year.
Original post by ethancruise15
It's true that you could have aimed higher, Warwick is great but UCL, Imperial, and Oxbridge are a league above. The avg entrance grade for your course was only AAB compared to A*AA at the other two, and 100% of applicants to Warwick engineering received offers compared to 30%-5% at the other schools. But ultimately it's you that determines your outcome in your life, not just the University name.

Oxbridge seems to be a bit less popular among top applicants for engineering than most other courses - it may or may not suit, but we cant really tell from the information given how much of a chance the OP would have had in applying post A levels. Imperial is very strong but not for everyone, UCL really doesnt have a good reputation for engineering courses.

Quick Reply

Latest