The Student Room Group

Should Winston Churchill be celebrated as much as he is?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by BreezyM
Should schools also acknowledge the acts of racism by Churchill and slurs he used. The Bengal famine he contributed towards by taking their food to feed English soldiers during the war when the British still had control of India/Pakistan/Bangladesh.
What are your thoughts?

Not sure why his racism is overly relevant?
Reply 41
Original post by Napp
Not sure why his racism is overly relevant?

Racism has to be relevant but , in any case, why put any leader on a pedestal to the point where one assumes that in order to be great he/she must not have any personal flaws or weaknesses?
The second point is an interesting one of a flawed argument regarding racism: nice, talented white people with responsible jobs could not be racist! But why not? This is where debates on racism often go off track. Winston Churchill was a grear orator and leader but he was also a racist. One cannot change history.
Reply 42
Original post by mgi
Racism has to be relevant but , in any case, why put any leader on a pedestal to the point where one assumes that in order to be great he/she must not have any personal flaws or weaknesses?
The second point is an interesting one of a flawed argument regarding racism: nice, talented white people with responsible jobs could not be racist! But why not? This is where debates on racism often go off track. Winston Churchill was a grear orator and leader but he was also a racist. One cannot change history.

My point was more so what if he was a racist? It was rather a given for the time and it is utterly ridiculous to start judging historical figures through a modern moral framework.
Reply 43
Original post by Napp
My point was more so what if he was a racist? It was rather a given for the time and it is utterly ridiculous to start judging historical figures through a modern moral framework.

Yes, but i would also argue that history is barely relevant or helpful to anything anyway unless human beings are prepared to learn from it's mistakes.
Original post by gjd800
Complex bloke and I have complex feelings towards him

Like most of us he was neither fully good nor fully bad

Original post by barnetlad
There is a difference between Winston Churchill the WW2 Prime Minister and the peacetime Churchill. We owe a great debt to him as wartime leader.

This. I think it's too simplistic to label Churchill [and most people in history for that matter] as 'good' or 'bad'. There are certainly actions and views he held which were morally dubious but at the same time was one of the first people in politics to see the threat of Nazism for what it was and in terms of WW2 was prepared to make the right decisions at the right time. I don't agree with holding Churchill up as an unquestioned hero, but just focusing on his bad points misses a large part of the picture as well.
Original post by 999tigger
Not all schools do. Slavery.
Hitler. Not all schools do.

Why should the people who choose History have to shoulder the burden for all; the stem students and everyone else who did not.
Options are much broader and have thousands of years to cover.

Did you choose to do GCSE or A level History and if not why not?

You still dont get the idea that attitudes and norms were different 100 years ago than they exist today.
As I said Churchill is not a very important part of any GCSE or even any A level option I know of.
Yes you can study his place in History and some of his more controversial actions, but that is part of history . You would know that if you had actually studied it.

You seem to have a very one sided agenda that aims to tear down his reputation, except it is one sided and you have a woeful inability to see it in context or understand what the skills and purpose of teaching History is.

These threads happen about once every 3 months, they make me want to vomit as you expect some sort of penance for people that existed 100 years ago as judged by todays standards. If you think Churchill was bad, then am sure you would have much preferred to live under the Nazis or Stalin, then you would be happy. How do you think you would have been treated then? Ask your mum. Is she a History teacher? What does she teach?

I’m now on the Year 2 of A levels and I recall studying history at GCSE level. We learnt a ton of irrelevant history from around the world including the Cold War (mostly the Asian fronts e.g. Korea and Vietnam). Why should we learn those things when we haven’t properly covered British history? The only British part of history I remember was Queen Elizabeth I.

Racism is not justified. You cannot just say attitudes were different 100 years ago.
Original post by User135792468
I’m now on the Year 2 of A levels and I recall studying history at GCSE level. We learnt a ton of irrelevant history from around the world including the Cold War (mostly the Asian fronts e.g. Korea and Vietnam). Why should we learn those things when we haven’t properly covered British history? The only British part of history I remember was Queen Elizabeth I.

Racism is not justified. You cannot just say attitudes were different 100 years ago.

Then you completely missed the point of learning History.

Attitudes and norms were different 100 years ago are you saying people thought the same and the world operated in the same manner as they do in 2019?

GCSE is different from A level presumably you havent done A level?

Why was the cold war relevant? Because it dominated the world from the 1940s to the 1990s? Being on the edge of nuclear destruction seems a pretty important issue.

Why was Vietnam important? Because it showed the changing world and attitude to war? the bringing to its knees of a super power? Emergence of civil rights?

If English History was so important for you then, presumably you took it to A level or you have continued your A level studies outside of school?

History is even more about learning the skills as any set of facts.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by Napp

With that argument then you can also justify hitlers actions because he wanted to get rid of the treaty of versialles because of the effect it was having on germany and it's economy. along side trying to fight for his country he was also being racist and killing innocent people. hold on, who elese did that? churchill was fighting for britain, saving britain yet at the same time because of him, millions pf bengalis died from the bengal famine, they starved to death. sp using your argument, spmeone could just as well justify hitler
Reply 48
Original post by Alesha1991
This. I think it's too simplistic to label Churchill [and most people in history for that matter] as 'good' or 'bad'. There are certainly actions and views he held which were morally dubious but at the same time was one of the first people in politics to see the threat of Nazism for what it was and in terms of WW2 was prepared to make the right decisions at the right time. I don't agree with holding Churchill up as an unquestioned hero, but just focusing on his bad points misses a large part of the picture as well.

Yes, just like with virtually anyone who has ever lived!
Then you completely missed the point of learning History.

Attitudes and norms were different 100 years ago are you saying people thought the same and the world operated in the same manner as they do in 2019?

GCSE is different from A level presumably you havent done A level?

Why was the cold war relevant? Because it dominated the world from the 1940s to the 1990s? Being on the edge of nuclear destruction seems a pretty important issue.

Why was Vietnam important? Because it showed the changing world and attitude to war? the bringing to its knees of a super power? Emergence of civil rights?

If English History was so important for you then, presumably you took it to A level or you have continued your A level studies outside of school?

History is even more about learning the skills as any set of facts.

You just don’t get the point do you? GCSE history should focus mainly on British history, funny how we didn’t learn a single thing about Winston Churchill or King Henry VIII in our GCSE curriculum but have to learn about Vietnam and Korea which has almost no relevance to Britain, the Cold War was just about western interventionism in conflicts abroad.

I don’t mind world history be taught but the curriculum should be majority focused on British history which it currently isn’t. And yes history is very good for developing analytical skills as well as judging the reliability of sources. I study biology, chemistry and geography at the moment as I have no interest in studying history in detail. In nearly all the other countries history lessons are based on their own country’s history not random bits from countries around the world. Our history lessons should especially focus on the evils that we are responsible for rather than glorifying a dictatorship (monarchy) or the endless bias in favour of westerners
isn’t he a dog
49140D8C-F4D0-4A7B-B06B-7CE7DC7884BB.jpeg
Victor mentality from WW2 makes many people gloss over his flaws and terrible actions throughout his life throughout the bloody history of the Empire, meaning many, especially the older generations will refuse to stomach anything which colours his image as a God-sent saviour of Britain/the world or any facts to the contrary
Reply 52
Original post by IH8Studying
isn’t he a dog
49140D8C-F4D0-4A7B-B06B-7CE7DC7884BB.jpeg

No Winston Churchill who was the british prime minister during ww2😂😂
Original post by BreezyM
With that argument then you can also justify hitlers actions because he wanted to get rid of the treaty of versialles because of the effect it was having on germany and it's economy. along side trying to fight for his country he was also being racist and killing innocent people. hold on, who elese did that? churchill was fighting for britain, saving britain yet at the same time because of him, millions pf bengalis died from the bengal famine, they starved to death. sp using your argument, spmeone could just as well justify hitler

Are you Indian by any chance?
You dont have to justify Hitler. I can see why Indians would prefer that he won but am afraid you would find the amount of Indians enslaved and exterminated would have been rather high.
Hitler had pros and cons depending on perspective.
By most norms though starting a conflict which resulted in 70m+ people dying and systematic genocide was rather frowned upon even in the 1940s.
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
Victor mentality from WW2 makes many people gloss over his flaws and terrible actions throughout his life throughout the bloody history of the Empire, meaning many, especially the older generations will refuse to stomach anything which colours his image as a God-sent saviour of Britain/the world or any facts to the contrary

I think this is untrue. It depends on perspective and as quoted numerous times on this thread he wasnt perfect, but was in fact a complex character.
His contribution to this country, for this country still outweighs the negatives. Think of the world we would live in if the UK had lost.
I think this is untrue. It depends on perspective and as quoted numerous times on this thread he wasnt perfect, but was in fact a complex character.
His contribution to this country, for this country still outweighs the negatives. Think of the world we would live in if the UK had lost.

Yes, his contribution to WW2 and victory over the Nazis was instrumental, though as to outweighing definitely is a matter of opinion and perspective, e.g. in the UK vs the colonies of the Empire.

Was unquestionably a strong leader, but imo winning the war has helped wash the blood off his hands, and many of the older generations refuse to listen to any facts to the contrary of him being St George reincarnated, when the reality is far more complex...
Original post by User135792468
You just don’t get the point do you? GCSE history should focus mainly on British history, funny how we didn’t learn a single thing about Winston Churchill or King Henry VIII in our GCSE curriculum but have to learn about Vietnam and Korea which has almost no relevance to Britain, the Cold War was just about western interventionism in conflicts abroad.

I don’t mind world history be taught but the curriculum should be majority focused on British history which it currently isn’t. And yes history is very good for developing analytical skills as well as judging the reliability of sources. I study biology, chemistry and geography at the moment as I have no interest in studying history in detail. In nearly all the other countries history lessons are based on their own country’s history not random bits from countries around the world. Our history lessons should especially focus on the evils that we are responsible for rather than glorifying a dictatorship (monarchy) or the endless bias in favour of westerners

Its you who dont get the point.

There is a lot of History.

The main purpose of learning isnt really about the facts in any given period, it is about the ability to assess and analyse past events and understand them from different aspects in an evidence based investigation.

You show your own ignorance for failing to understand this or realise how important the cold war was.

What makes me laugh is people like you who moan on about it but make a choice not to study it in favour of other subjects, but still feel you have the right to preach to other students who do take the subject what they must learn.

50% of A level is based on a period of British History and 50% on world History. Learning the kings and Queens of England isnt wholly useful.
Original post by BreezyM
We still learn about slavery. that was 100 uears ago.
we still learn abput hitler and how evil he was. that was 100 years ago. That's the whole point of history. You look and learn about the past. Not everyone takes GCSE i know but for those who do, why isnt it taught? If not taught then in textbooks. but you dont see it. it seems quite 1 sided tbh. he called indians dirty rats and said about the bengal famine that they should stop breeding like animals. race aside, in the min 1900s during the 2 weeks of smog, he was a cause of that. he told people to burn anything to keep warm and by this smog was formed. during this time people especially young pr quite old dies as they were to weak to handle the fumes. I have done my research. maybe i havent done it in history lessons at school but i hace done my research.

It's annoying watching people like you try and take the moral high ground over different issues while you support the suffering and enslavement of billions of animals. Have a look at yourself before you morally judge others.
Reply 58
Are you Indian by any chance?
You dont have to justify Hitler. I can see why Indians would prefer that he won but am afraid you would find the amount of Indians enslaved and exterminated would have been rather high.
Hitler had pros and cons depending on perspective.
By most norms though starting a conflict which resulted in 70m+ people dying and systematic genocide was rather frowned upon even in the 1940s.

I am not indian
im pakistani and arab
Reply 59
Original post by kilmarnoy
It's annoying watching people like you try and take the moral high ground over different issues while you support the suffering and enslavement of billions of animals. Have a look at yourself before you morally judge others.

What about animals? I never even mentioned animals.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending