oven27
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Recently, I have decided to go to uni rather than take an apprenticeship. I havent put much thought in, so I don't know what to expect when living away from home. Has anybody got good advice for picking the ideal uni, considering distance and subjects, and what can I expect with uni life?
Emily_B
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Choose something you actually want to study/are interested in.
Look at the courses different universities offer, what modules you have to study/can opt into etc and whether they appeal to you.
Take entry requirements/typical offers into consideration.
Go to open days. This will give you a really good idea of whether or not you actually like the university, the course, and the city or campus.
Look at how far it is to get home, how easy this journey is, how expensive it is. Tricky to get to an open day? It'll be tricky to get home for the weekend.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by oven27)
Recently, I have decided to go to uni rather than take an apprenticeship. I havent put much thought in, so I don't know what to expect when living away from home. Has anybody got good advice for picking the ideal uni, considering distance and subjects, and what can I expect with uni life?
So pick the ideal uni:
-Prospects: jobs opportunities
-Teaching quality TEF
-Research (REF is good indicator)
-Prestige
-What type of city do you want: big/medium/small
-campus or city based
The criteria is really your choice but just some some things to think about

Living away for the first time: well not a lot to say it just happens, you'll be nervous before you go but once you arrive its a great experience, dont have any specific advice, youll find your feet once you get there,
tdoggg872
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by oven27)
Recently, I have decided to go to uni rather than take an apprenticeship. I haven't put much thought in, so I don't know what to expect when living away from home. Has anybody got good advice for picking the ideal uni, considering distance and subjects, and what can I expect with uni life?
It all depends on you, but for me I have selected good University that would benefit me in my education, so look at the research quality that the Uni provides, graduate prospects. Most cities have very good unis for all courses so you can always look at unis that are easily commutable to get back home as often as possible, as for example if you're from Brighton it will be hard to get up to Newcastle whenever you wanted. So look at distance that's easily travelable but more importantly if the uni will benefit you,
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Suffolk
    Undergraduate Open Day - Ipswich Main Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 9 Dec '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (153)
19.17%
Labour (407)
51%
Liberal Democrats (109)
13.66%
Green Party (42)
5.26%
Brexit Party (10)
1.25%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.5%
SNP (14)
1.75%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.5%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.75%
SDLP (1)
0.13%
Ulster Unionist (4)