swizz22
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
struggling to decide between the 2 . I as certain on doing econ but i think i might want to go into accounting when im older.
MM02_17
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you genuinely like economics and you're GOOD at it, then definitely choose economics degree over any narrow financial degree.

Firstly, economics is much broader and as such, doesn't close as many doors as an accounting degree, yet if you chose to go into accounting later on in life you could easily do this with an economics degree. In fact, depending on where you get your economics degree from it can actually be easier to become an accountant with economics rather than accountancy. The main reason for this is that accountancy is seen by many as 'softer' than economics and it is not respected anywhere near as much in the workplace.

At the end of the day, it's down to you but doing an economics degree will not close the accountancy door later on in life so don't worry about that.

Hope this was somewhat helpful.
bennyj901
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
In my mind you want a degree that has flexibility to it, after all you are spending close to £30,000 on the thing and it is going to take you three years to get it so you don't want to be doing that twice. So saying that I think Economics is the best option for you because it will allow you to do accounting, but also a variety of other jobs as well (part of the reason I have chosen an economics degree is because of this flexibility). So if you do Economics and then go on to do accounting, great. But if you find you dont like accounting, you are going to find plenty of other places that will hire you with an economics background.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 6 Dec '19
  • Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 6 Dec '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 6 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (47)
21.27%
Labour (108)
48.87%
Liberal Democrats (25)
11.31%
Green Party (16)
7.24%
Brexit Party (2)
0.9%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
1.36%
SNP (5)
2.26%
Plaid Cymru (1)
0.45%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (3)
1.36%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)