The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

New law next year, Organ donaton coumplsory when somebody dies ?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
i hope y'all who don't wanna donate aren't gonna take them.

I won't
Just opt out online that's what i did, received my letter in the post confirming it a few weeks back.
Original post by Cleverboy1991
exactly that is what I feel is going on, like we don't even own our very being anymore because the government does, telling us when we die they will take our p=body parts for donation unless we sign out so we aren't automatically given a free right to our own bodies.
Very worrying days, the government want to chip us all soon, one world order e.t..c I will not be participating at all in getting chipped no matter what they do to me

Hmmmmm
This is a very common thing, a lot of countries in Europe do it as far as I know. It isn't hard to opt out of it either if you don't want to have that happen or you can choose what they can and can't take
I think it’s a good thing in all honesty. Shame it won’t be applicable to NI
Reply 85
exactly that is what I feel is going on, like we don't even own our very being anymore because the government does, telling us when we die they will take our p=body parts for donation unless we sign out so we aren't automatically given a free right to our own bodies.
Very worrying days, the government want to chip us all soon, one world order e.t..c I will not be participating at all in getting chipped no matter what they do to me

This isn't about the government taking over ur body, it's about saving the people who need the organs, and cutting the waiting lists which people are dying on. You can sign out if you wish, so you still have the absolute choice, and nobody will "own" you.

If you have a mobile phone you are already, effectively, chipped.
increasing demand in organ transplants means an opt-out system works best, people will try to complain either way, but this way will for sure increase donators available.
Original post by Jamie
Extensive consultations with every major religious group in UK. None objected. Some orthodox jewish groups and minor sects within islam object, but mainly from stance of said organs of deceased muslims/orthodox jews being transplanted into people outside the faith.

Have I studied theology to an advanced degree? No.
Have I studied role of religion within medicine, consent etc. Yes.

How many religious legal challenges do you think there have been in Wales since the law changed?

How successful do you think they will be in England?
They won't is the answer. This isn't mandated. They are not being forced to donate. Anyone who feels strongly can opt out. And there is sufficient time and advertising being given to the change in law. They cannot and will not stop rest of UK changing the laws anymore than they could prevent same sex marriage.

PRSOM.

Not to mention that Parliament is sovereign thus courts cannot overrule Acts of Parliament even if they want to (unless the AoP expressly violates EU law, but even then Parliament will have the final say).
@Cleverboy1991
What's wrong with it if it's opt out? You've called it compulsory in the title, but it isn't.
Also, why do you want to opt out? Given the choice, why are you picking the possible world in which a greater number of people needlessly suffer and die?

I won't be and that's my mind made up.
Why would you not want to save lives? It will make no difference to you once you’re dead and you can always opt out. Pure hysteria.
Original post by YaliaV
Why would you not want to save lives? It will make no difference to you once you’re dead and you can always opt out. Pure hysteria.

Because I'm a human being not a bag of spare parts. If I give them to you then it's a gift and you should be grateful. But that doesn't mean you can just assume ownership of them. It's again the state getting involved where it has no right to be.
Original post by AJ126y
Because I'm a human being not a bag of spare parts. If I give them to you then it's a gift and you should be grateful. But that doesn't mean you can just assume ownership of them. It's again the state getting involved where it has no right to be.

And if you feel strongly about it, you can opt out.

Hence it being opt out.

A load of hysteria about nothing.
If families object, not going to interfere with that imo, if they havent made a clear expression of wish to donate, understand why some people are reluctant to donate...
Original post by Drewski
And if you feel strongly about it, you can opt out.

Hence it being opt out.

A load of hysteria about nothing.

But I shouldn't have to opt out though. And we don't do this with anything else. There are plenty of people dying of hunger in the world for instance. We don't say to billionaires we'll take all of your wealth and give it to someone-else who needs it more unless you opt out After all nobody really needs a billion pounds.Its just not how it's done. People should be more concerned at losing their freedoms gradually.

And really who is going to be in charge of the opt outs? The government? What if the form or whatever it is gets lost? What if you want to opt out but your family decide to go ahead? What if in 100 years it becomes normalised and it changes from voluntary to compulsory? I don't like the way this is going. You know they are thinking of using pigs to grow human organs now. Which is just cruel tbh.
Original post by AJ126y
Its just not how it's done.

Oh boy, wait till you hear about tax...
this is how it should be. plenty of people want to donate organs and then end up forgetting to opt in, so having an opt out system is better as the ones not wanting to donate will feel strongly enough to remember to opt out
Original post by Drewski
Oh boy, wait till you hear about tax...

I knew you were going to say that. But even with tax, billionaires still have vastly more money than anyone could ever hope to spend.
Original post by AJ126y
I knew you were going to say that. But even with tax, billionaires still have vastly more money than anyone could ever hope to spend.

But we do say - to everyone - "we're going to take part of what's yours as the cost of living in a shared society". This is no different.

Except, of course, we'll wait until you no longer need the organs.
(edited 4 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending