The Student Room Group

Scottish Graduate doing medicine in England.

Hey all,
I thought id make a thread about this as the answers I have found so far are a bit ambiguous.
I have received an interview offer from an English university for undergraduate medicine and I'm a scottish graduate.
What funding is available to me? If there are any scottish graduates out there that are doing medicine in England could please get in touch.
At the moment if I'm lucky enough to get an offer I am thinking of deferring entry.
Hi!Congrats on your interview offer!I'm from Scotland and currently on a 4 year GEM course in England - couldn't get in to a Scottish medical school due to having a 2.2... If you're classed as 'normally resident' in Scotland then there's no help with tuition fees from SAAS so in my case I just had to save up. There is a maintenance loan available (max £6750 per year) available if you're doing an accelerated course in England - I can't say for sure if it's available for the 5 year courses. SAAS have the guidance documents available on their website (https://saas.gov.uk/forms_and_guides/full_time.htm) but you're probably better off phoning them and discussing your situation. Some universities may have additional funding you might be able to apply for so it's always worth seeing if you would be eligible for anything.
Original post by xtragravity
Hi!Congrats on your interview offer!I'm from Scotland and currently on a 4 year GEM course in England - couldn't get in to a Scottish medical school due to having a 2.2... If you're classed as 'normally resident' in Scotland then there's no help with tuition fees from SAAS so in my case I just had to save up. There is a maintenance loan available (max £6750 per year) available if you're doing an accelerated course in England - I can't say for sure if it's available for the 5 year courses. SAAS have the guidance documents available on their website (https://saas.gov.uk/forms_and_guides/full_time.htm) but you're probably better off phoning them and discussing your situation. Some universities may have additional funding you might be able to apply for so it's always worth seeing if you would be eligible for anything.

Thank you for getting back!! I've found out about the maintenance loan so happy! Just need to save for the tuition fees
Original post by NamjoonMedic
Hey all,
I thought id make a thread about this as the answers I have found so far are a bit ambiguous.
I have received an interview offer from an English university for undergraduate medicine and I'm a scottish graduate.
What funding is available to me? If there are any scottish graduates out there that are doing medicine in England could please get in touch.
At the moment if I'm lucky enough to get an offer I am thinking of deferring entry.

Hi there,

Are you ordinarily resident in Scotland? If so, you'd need to apply to SAAS for funding and not Student Finance England.

Thanks, Jen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending