This discussion is closed.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Statement from the Culture Secretary: Saracens Rugby Football Club
Madam Deputy Speaker,

I would like to make a short statement about the allegations against Saracens Rugby Football Club, about which Premiership Rugby have decided to fine the club and deduct 35 points, which is subject to appeal by the club.

It is not the place of government to decide sporting competition rules. The allegations may be to many considered cheating, but no suggestion has been made that they break UK law. However, the allegation that players have received indirect payment through business investment suggests that this is possibly part of their playing contract. I have therefore asked HMRC to check that the correct levels of tax have and/or are being paid by players and officials of the club.
Baron of Sealand
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
At first, I thought Saracen's Fez has founded a club.

Anyway, it's good to check that everyone's paying their taxes.
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I abstain, on the basis that ice hockey (kendo) is the superior game.
#jokerit #dontforgetthatthereisananglofin nishmpinthemhoc
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I would suggest there is no "possibly part of the contract" and this amounts to a case of trying to find something to write a statement about for the sake of having a statement, something the Rt Hon Gentleman seem quite adept at.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
I would suggest there is no "possibly part of the contract" and this amounts to a case of trying to find something to write a statement about for the sake of having a statement, something the Rt Hon Gentleman seem quite adept at.
Given how the salary cap works I'd be very surprised if it were a formal part of the playing contract, given the issue here in the first place seems to have been a failure to declare the co-investments.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
Given how the salary cap works I'd be very surprised if it were a formal part of the playing contract, given the issue here in the first place seems to have been a failure to declare the co-investments.
Which is irrelevant to HMRC, it is only relevant to the regulations of the premiership. If they have failed to declare to HMRC income from those investments then they are guilty of tax evasion regardless, if they have failed to declare any capital gains they are also guilty of tax evasion regardless; however if they have declared capital gains tax and paid their 20/28% there isn't an issue, likewise if they have declared their income from those investments and paid their 40/45% there is no issue.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Which is irrelevant to HMRC, it is only relevant to the regulations of the premiership. If they have failed to declare to HMRC income from those investments then they are guilty of tax evasion regardless, if they have failed to declare any capital gains they are also guilty of tax evasion regardless; however if they have declared capital gains tax and paid their 20/28% there isn't an issue, likewise if they have declared their income from those investments and paid their 40/45% there is no issue.
Indeed, I think the idea that because Premiership regulations (may or may not) have been broken here there's likely to be tax issues is unlikely.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
Indeed, I think the idea that because Premiership regulations (may or may not) have been broken here there's likely to be tax issues is unlikely.
Swindon Town FC were found guilty of financial irregularities by the FA (or maybe Football League) in the 1990s and it turned out that criminal offences were committed. I don't think this is the case with Saracens RFC though it should be checked.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
Swindon Town FC were found guilty of financial irregularities by the FA (or maybe Football League) in the 1990s and it turned out that criminal offences were committed. I don't think this is the case with Saracens RFC though it should be checked.
If that's going to be your excuse to cover your lack of understanding then why restrict it to Saracens and not extend it to all clubs in the premiership, as was the case with Swindon? Further to this the allegations made there were not just allegations of breaking league rules but breaking the law given the arrangements were specifically to avoid tax.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Debate on this statement has concluded.
Last edited by CatusStarbright; 1 week ago
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (68)
19.71%
Labour (166)
48.12%
Liberal Democrats (49)
14.2%
Green Party (21)
6.09%
Brexit Party (4)
1.16%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.87%
SNP (7)
2.03%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.87%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (5)
1.45%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)
0.29%
UKIP (6)
1.74%
Other (1)
0.29%
None (11)
3.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise