The Student Room Group

Christmas Eve/Christmas morning routines

what are everyone’s Christmas Eve/Christmas morning routines?! so excited🎄
Christmas eve: go about my day as usual then sleep.
Christmas morning: go church
Reply 2
Sometimes I'll help with a charity that does Christmas lunch for the elderly at a local school: 24th food prep and decorating, 25th serving, chatting and washing up!

Otherwise Christmas Eve: church.
Christmas Day: last advent calendar chocolate before breakfast, G&T whilst cooking lunch, phone all the family, watch a film, get stuff ready to go to a Boxing Day football match.
I'll be getting home late on the 23rd so intend on sleeping in on Xmas eve but...

Christmas Eve: Relaxing. Cook the turkey and gammon and some food prep. Watch lots of Xmas TV too, obvs. Have picky bits like cheese, crackers etc for dinner.

Christmas Day: 9am mass. Home just after 10 and we have some bucks fizz and open presents. Then we have a full English as we don't have dinner till like 6/7. Spend the day watching Xmas movies, Top of the Pops, Queen's speech, classics like the snowman etc. Then dinner and pop crackers etc. And watch Eastenders obviously :moon:

Though this year my brother is in Paris for xmas so we may have Christmas dinner a few days later on the 27th when they come to stay.
Christmas Eve: Make food and drink.
Christmas Morning: Go to the pub.
Christmas Eve: generally go out for a Chinese or Indian

Christmas day: bucks fizz in the morning so I start as I mean to go on.....ideally a good film later on like a nice Agatha Christie murder :h:
Christmas Eve - drink
Christmas Day - bacon rolls for breakfast, dinner and drinks from about 3pm

That's about it. There is only my parents and I and I'm 27, so there isn't a need to make a big thing of it.
Reply 7
Xmas Eve is the biggest session of the year cos all the lads are in the same place for the only time in the year.

Xmas Day I sleep
Christmas Eve: Frantic flapping as my mum realises we're missing some vital ingredient/utility for the Christmas meal, despite meticulous planning :facepalm: Me adding last-minute things to the Christmas playlist :ahee:

Then Midnight Mass with the family :jebus: After Mass, we usually open all the presents, so we're up 'til, like, 3am :colone:

Christmas Day: Waking up at a semi-decent time in order to get the Christmas turkey going. Attempt several times over the next hour to get my sisters to wake up. Fail at this task :emo:

Start sending out Christmas texts to family and friends across the world. Share 'For Unto Us A Child Is Born' from Handel's Messiah on my Facebook :biggrin:

Eventually make a start on turkey and get it in the oven. Snack on supermarket 'party bites' 'til then. Argue with sisters over who is going to pour the hot brandy over the Christmas pudding coz we all hate doing it :rolleyes:

Eventually get dressed into my Santa Claus dress (£10 from Primark many years ago :ahee: ), maybe throw a Christmas jumper over it. Dad complains we've missed Queen's speech so have to get it up on iPlayer. Watch Christmas films with Dad's bonkers questions/running commentary.

Help Mum get the rest of the meal warmed up (most of it has been made over the past few days). We do a half-Sri Lankan, half British Christmas meal, so there's a ridiculous amount of food :eek:

Finally eat our main Christmas meal around 6pm (or later if younger sister - who is a dr - has to work Christmas Day). Christmas crackers and reading out the silly jokes, followed by the Stress That Is Lighting The Christmas Pudding. Eat said pudding, or mince pies or Christmas cake. Or all of them :colone:

Finish the day by thanking God that we've got through another Christmas without fighting :adore:

Quick Reply

Latest