how long do your pens last? Watch

kngysng
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
i bought new pens a while ago and i seem to be going through one every 2 weeks? is that normal? am i writing an unhealthy amount of biology revision notes? are these bad pens? is this normal behaviour for an overly stressed year 13?
please let me know how long one pen lasts you on average
Matrix123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'd say it's probably the brand/type of pens? I use BIC ballpoint pens and each usually lasts me a month mininum.
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I use a fountain pen so a few days and then I have to refill it. unless I'm doing a ton of written work then maybe 1 day (it happened once).
TheMcSame
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Can't remember exactly how long pens lasted me at school, it was a while though. Probably close to a month, if not more.

I wouldn't bother with those crappy cheap ballpoints. Great in a pinch but they're absolute buggers for leaking in your pocket. Even those parker pens, which are supposed to be pretty decent are a bit hit or miss in my experience when it comes to leaking.
Microcosm
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
it definitely depends on the type of pen. each of my ballpoint pens generally last me about a month if i used them one by one, but my gel and ink pens generally last 2 to 3 weeks (provided they don't leak)
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by kngysng)
i bought new pens a while ago and i seem to be going through one every 2 weeks? is that normal? am i writing an unhealthy amount of biology revision notes? are these bad pens? is this normal behaviour for an overly stressed year 13?
please let me know how long one pen lasts you on average
As you say you are writing an unhealthy amount so why compare it top others that dont write such copious amounts?
Are you buying expensive pens?

Just get cheap ones or get an ink pen.
kngysng
Rep:
?
(Original post by Matrix123)
I'd say it's probably the brand/type of pens? I use BIC ballpoint pens and each usually lasts me a month mininum.
A MONTH???????? i hate ballpoint pens so maybe it’s a liquid ink thing. but a MONTH????
Pom_Bear
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
30 seconds 😪
kngysng
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
As you say you are writing an unhealthy amount so why compare it top others that dont write such copious amounts?
Are you buying expensive pens?

Just get cheap ones or get an ink pen.
yes this whole post is an elaborate flex to say i'm writing revision notes and you’re not. great one thanks for the help!!!!
i’m not buying expensive pens nor am i trying to show off that i’m writing a lot?
i literally just wanted to know if i’m buying pens that run out uneconomically fast.
kngysng
Rep:
?
(Original post by Microcosm)
it definitely depends on the type of pen. each of my ballpoint pens generally last me about a month if i used them one by one, but my gel and ink pens generally last 2 to 3 weeks (provided they don't leak)
yeah i think it’s probably a liquid ink thing, ballpoint pens used to last me ages but i hate writing with them because it makes my handwriting completely illegible. thank you!
999tigger
Report 2 weeks ago
yes this whole post is an elaborate flex to say i'm writing revision notes and you’re not. great one thanks for the help!!!!
i’m not buying expensive pens nor am i trying to show off that i’m writing a lot?
i literally just wanted to know if i’m buying pens that run out uneconomically fast.
Completely missed the point which is if you are writing copious amounts of notes, then its not really a very reliable method to compare it with people who are writing much less or an unknown random amount.

#I would expect expensive pens to be a bit more reliable and last till they ran out of ink rather malfunctioning.
dxnixl
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
lmao a thread dedicated to pens

(on a more serious note, those cheap pens from Asda’s are sometimes rlly good... or is it just me)
Name:  59A6692C-0DE6-49B0-9CAD-A514FDEFC46F.jpeg
Views: 8
Size:  16.7 KB
Microcosm
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
yeah i think it’s probably a liquid ink thing, ballpoint pens used to last me ages but i hate writing with them because it makes my handwriting completely illegible. thank you!
fair enough
Matrix123
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
A MONTH???????? i hate ballpoint pens so maybe it’s a liquid ink thing. but a MONTH????
Yeah, I know! I was so happy when I started using them. I used to have own branded ballpoint pens (which can be good, I haven't tried every one out there) and they'd only last me 2 weeks with an especially good pen :lol: and liquid ink pens tend to be about the same from my experience. However, a lot of people do prefer the comfort of liquid ink pens so if that's more improtant than the lifespan then that's obviously the way to go.
Bogelles
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
BIC crystal soft pens are really good, only ever had a few leak, they last about a month but tbh most the time I lose them or break them through messing about or chew them so I throw them away but they aren't very expensive a pack of 50 is only like 10 quid which is amazing value seeing how a pack of 5 is like 5 quid which is stupid. They write really nice as well, top pens do recommend

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cristal-Sof...1&sr=8-15&th=1
kngysng
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Completely missed the point which is if you are writing copious amounts of notes, then its not really a very reliable method to compare it with people who are writing much less or an unknown random amount.

#I would expect expensive pens to be a bit more reliable and last till they ran out of ink rather malfunctioning.
oh god i was so out of it im sorry i completely missed what you meant i feel like a horrible person...
now i get what you mean (sorry) you make a good point

it was your typo of 'to' i thought you were saying i was trying to 'top' others omg
Last edited by kngysng; 2 weeks ago
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Am a design student, nuff said
999tigger
Report 2 weeks ago
oh god i was so out of it im sorry i completely missed what you meant i feel like a horrible person...
now i get what you mean (sorry) you make a good point

it was your typo of 'to' i thought you were saying i was trying to 'top' others omg
I was rather surprised. Dont worry.
When writing, even making lots of notes I was almost happy to get a pen that used all its ink from beginning to end. They normally stop for some reason or another. It is not something that worried me. Gel pens (not to be used in exam) used their ink quite quickly.

Get some extra at Christmas, but try and id good ones you can write comfortably and clearly with. Find your favourite or acceptable pens then buy a box of ten. I used to like pilot pens, but they either bled because if you leave the tip next to material it drains all the ink out or ceased to work.
You can sometimes get bargains on ebay.

There are also sites on best pens to use.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (29)
21.17%
Labour (68)
49.64%
Liberal Democrats (16)
11.68%
Green Party (10)
7.3%
Brexit Party (0)
0%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
2.92%
Plaid Cymru (0)
0%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (2)
1.46%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)