Just curious as to what people’s opinions are. Mine are
Useful:
- maths
- Engineering
- Medicine
- Law
- Finance/Economics
- nursing

Useless: (no hate against these subjects but they don’t seem very good in terms of employment)
- History
- English
- Philosophy
- psych
- MFL
- classics
Oh and also add to useful the Most useful degree in the world that can get you into any career field the amazing degree that is “Anglo Saxon, Nordic and Celtic”
What’s everyone else’s opinion?
Mo_Barker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I know someone who got a 2:2 in Classics who had earned over £100k in a year working at a bank. His friend who got a 2:1 in economics is working at Wetherspoons. There are no good or bad degrees, it's all about your work ethic.

But dumping on any degree as "less good" is pretty childish and cringe.
Studentboy783
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Mo_Barker)
I know someone who got a 2:2 in Classics who had earned over £100k in a year working at a bank. His friend who got a 2:1 in economics is working at Wetherspoons. There are no good or bad degrees, it's all about your work ethic.

But dumping on any degree as "less good" is pretty childish and cringe.
A lot of these opinions are the ones that have been drilled into me by my school. I wish I’d counted how many times the principal said that engineering and computer science were the only degrees with a good job market
IrrationalRoot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
In fairness even Maths can be useless if you don't have any 'applied' interests like programming or finance.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Studentboy783)
A lot of these opinions are the ones that have been drilled into me by my school. I wish I’d counted how many times the principal said that engineering and computer science were the only degrees with a good job market
Computer science has the highest unemployment rate of any degree subject
Studentboy783
Rep:
?
(Original post by XOR_)
That's because many people who take the degree can not actually program even after it has finished and got through it by having their mates help with coursework assignments.
That and computer science degrees would rather you be able to complete a specific piece of work than be almost fluent in the programming language
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
:indiff:
Compsci degrees aren’t supposed to be coding academy:rolleyes: if that’s your career ambition steer clear of university
iLoveRodents
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'd add Biomedical Science and Pharmacy to the useful degrees :h:
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Law isn't going to be a particularly useful degree once the SQE comes into place... unless you're part of the <10% of law graduates that actually get pupillage and go to the Bar
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
philosophy broadly speaking has excellent employment prospects and indeed employment rates (obviously the better the dept, the better the rates tend to be)

where do you kids pull this crap from
rcmotorboy
Badges: 12
Report 3 weeks ago
It's hard to actually think for a course that it just useless. History is extremely useful. I did engineering, I am dependent on History.

There's also Eastern European Studies which may be wild but I think useful because there's so much there in Eastern Europe that goes un-noticed that is worth uncovering. I kid you not! Niche but really interesting.

I think Games Design is pointless. Doesn't feel like it gives the edge to the required art form. I love video games but Games Design? I know people with degrees who make video games sell and worth while, just a course named games design?
(Original post by PQ)
Computer science has the highest unemployment rate of any degree subject
I forgot about that. It is a bit pointless. I would agree because any science mentality can apply what they like if they learn how to program considering that it is accessible. My opinion anyways.
Last edited by rcmotorboy; 3 weeks ago
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by gjd800)
philosophy broadly speaking has excellent employment prospects and indeed employment rates (obviously the better the dept, the better the rates tend to be)

It genuinely probably comes from memes
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
It genuinely probably comes from memes
not to mention the thoroughly depressing instrumentalisation of higher ed

languages, history, phil, greats/classics all crucial to knowledge creation and culture, but because they might not be a direct route to 150k a year, pointless

give me strength
Studentboy783
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)

...our teachers. Seriously we get told regularly the only real useful degrees are engineering, maybe medicine and computer science
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Studentboy783)
...our teachers. Seriously we get told regularly the only real useful degrees are engineering, maybe medicine and computer science
Your teachers are idiots
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (282)
46.77%
No (69)
11.44%
I'm not old enough (252)
41.79%

Watched Threads