Anna Farziyeva
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello, i am applying to dentistry 2020, however i need to take a gap year. My predicted grades were seriously low (ABBD) and i am trying to get 3 A s at the end of this year. Because of my lower predicted grades i could only apply to a dentistry course In Newcastle and the rest (4 unis)for dental therapy and hygiene course. I was thinking to call the universities (eg. Plymouth) as a Clearing process in the results day if i get A or above. But now i need to take a gap year... So my question is can i call the unis for clearing and then if i get accepted can i take a gap year or not?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Clearing isn’t generally for deferred places. You can ring up but you’re likely to be told to reapply during your gap year
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anna Farziyeva)
Hello, i am applying to dentistry 2020, however i need to take a gap year. My predicted grades were seriously low (ABBD) and i am trying to get 3 A s at the end of this year. Because of my lower predicted grades i could only apply to a dentistry course In Newcastle and the rest (4 unis)for dental therapy and hygiene course. I was thinking to call the universities (eg. Plymouth) as a Clearing process in the results day if i get A or above. But now i need to take a gap year... So my question is can i call the unis for clearing and then if i get accepted can i take a gap year or not?
Seeing as you need to take a gap year anyway, I would leave UCAS for this year and apply next year with achieved rather than predicted grades. If you get the 3 As you are aiming for, you will be in a much better position to get offers for Dentistry courses.
Anna Farziyeva
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
Seeing as you need to take a gap year anyway, I would leave UCAS for this year and apply next year with achieved rather than predicted grades. If you get the 3 As you are aiming for, you will be in a much better position to get offers for Dentistry courses.
Thank you.. Does that mean i have to take UKCAT exam again for 2021 or not?
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anna Farziyeva)
Thank you.. Does that mean i have to take UKCAT exam again for 2021 or not?
I believe so but I'm not too familiar with applications for Dentistry so will move your thread to the Dentisty forum. If in doubt, contact UKCAT directly to ask
Emily_5410
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That’s what I did! I’m going to York in 2020 and got in through clearing because I was a few marks off what I needed when I got my results in August of this year. When you call you just need to ask if they offer deferred clearing for 2021, if they do they will put you in for a 2020 start application (it’s not a full UCAS application, it’s just a few details and took me about 10 minutes) and then they’ll change it over to 2021 on their end! I don’t know how it works with dentistry and I can’t promise it’ll be something those universities offer but it’s definitely a possibility!!
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Emily_5410)
That’s what I did! I’m going to York in 2020 and got in through clearing because I was a few marks off what I needed when I got my results in August of this year. When you call you just need to ask if they offer deferred clearing for 2021, if they do they will put you in for a 2020 start application (it’s not a full UCAS application, it’s just a few details and took me about 10 minutes) and then they’ll change it over to 2021 on their end! I don’t know how it works with dentistry and I can’t promise it’ll be something those universities offer but it’s definitely a possibility!!
Dentistry is different because it is more competitive than most other courses. For that reason, there won't be many vacancies in Clearing and the few unis advertising will be very unlikely to consider deferred entry. This was the situation last year

https://www.themedicportal.com/denti...stry-clearing/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (174)
48.74%
No (44)
12.32%
I'm not old enough (139)
38.94%

Watched Threads