Which uni is good for Healthcare Science ? Watch

Kien Le
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am currently in foundation year at Queen Mary. I want to become a biomedical scientist in the future and I heard that taking Healthcare Science is the best route. Any suggestion for which uni i should take for this course ? Thanks
Annie.ken
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kien Le)
I am currently in foundation year at Queen Mary. I want to become a biomedical scientist in the future and I heard that taking Healthcare Science is the best route. Any suggestion for which uni i should take for this course ? Thanks
To be honest, i think that doing an accredited 4 year biomeds degree is the best way forward, as you would have completed your portfolio as a trainee BMS during your placement in year 2/3 , which will give you your HCPG registration. The HCPG registration enable you to start working as a BMS straight away. Its really important to look for courses that are accredited as otherwise you will need to do top-up courses. I am not sure if Healthcare Science is accredited.
My Biomedicine degree wasn't accredited so I had to pay to do extra modules and I worked as an MLA in the lab for 2 years until I manged to get a post as trainee BMS to complete my portfolio. Trainee BMS post are extremely competitive and hard to get as there are a lot of us who have done the 3 year course and don't have a portfolio.
Hope this helps
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kien Le)
no. you can do any biosciences degree. but you will need to progress through masters and phd.
Kien Le
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Annie.ken)
To be honest, i think that doing an accredited 4 year biomeds degree is the best way forward, as you would have completed your portfolio as a trainee BMS during your placement in year 2/3 , which will give you your HCPG registration. The HCPG registration enable you to start working as a BMS straight away. Its really important to look for courses that are accredited as otherwise you will need to do top-up courses. I am not sure if Healthcare Science is accredited.
My Biomedicine degree wasn't accredited so I had to pay to do extra modules and I worked as an MLA in the lab for 2 years until I manged to get a post as trainee BMS to complete my portfolio. Trainee BMS post are extremely competitive and hard to get as there are a lot of us who have done the 3 year course and don't have a portfolio.
Hope this helps
actually from what I have researched. Healthcare science is accredited by both IBMS and HCPC. Students will get a degree and complete their portfolio simultaneously in 3 years. Normally for student taking Biomed, after graduate they will have to work as medical lab assistants for more than 1 year in order to get HCPC registration, and it is also very competitive. So a lot of people consider Healthcare Science is a fastest route to become a biomed scientist and work in NHS lab ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

13.58%
12.82%
2 (99)
12.56%
18.65%
22.97%
19.42%

Watched Threads