The Student Room Group

Is 3 a normal blood sugar level before eating?

I read on the nhs website that it should be between 4-7, but a lady that is an expert on diabetes says 3 is normal. I feel weak when it’s 3, very weak and I wake up with tingly hands.
Reply 1
4.8 is the normal level, if it varies from that then there is a problem.

You need to talk to someone that deals with blood glucose levels. You are already testing yourself, have you been told to or did you get a monitor yourself?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Bio 7
4.8 is the normal level, if it varies from that then there is a problem.

You need to talk to someone that deals with blood glucose levels. You are already testing yourself, have you been told to or did you get a monitor yourself?

My dad haS one at home, he has diabetes. As far as I know now I don’t have diabetes, I think I got hypoglycaemia which is just low glucose levels not high glucose levels. I felt weak and like I was going to black out so I checked once and it was 3.9 or once 3.6 and once below that after I wake up from sleep. Then I usually eat a glucose sweet and it goes up to 11.7 a few days ago along with lucozade, or it went up to 9.3 today.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
My dad haS one at home, he has diabetes. As far as I know now I don’t have diabetes, I think I got hypoglycaemia which is just low glucose levels not high glucose levels. I felt weak and like I was going to black out so I checked once and it was 3.9 or once 3.6 and once below that after I wake up from sleep. Then I usually eat a glucose sweet and it goes up to 11.7 a few days ago along with lucozade, or it went up to 9.3 today.

It's good you are able to check. You need to make an appointment though to get access to your own monitor. Staying too low and too high is very damaging to your health and needs to be controlled.
Reply 4
Original post by Bio 7
It's good you are able to check. You need to make an appointment though to get access to your own monitor. Staying too low and too high is very damaging to your health and needs to be controlled.

Do you know what HBa1c is? My gp has requested a blood test and is testing me to see if something is wrong with that due to my abnormally low blood sugar levels. I think it was fine at the time that I gave my bloods, so I am worried they might not find anything wrong and say it’s all in my head,
Reply 5
Do you know what HBa1c is? My gp has requested a blood test and is testing me to see if something is wrong with that due to my abnormally low blood sugar levels. I think it was fine at the time that I gave my bloods, so I am worried they might not find anything wrong and say it’s all in my head,

It measures an average blood glucose level for a 3 month period. All diabetics get them done.

If this has only been happening for a few days then it likely won't show up, but I'm not enough of an expert to say for certain, but if you do a test and are below 4.8 that shows there is a problem they need to address and it isn't a mental issue you have conjured up. Normal people shouldn't be dropping much lower because it isn't healthy.

This might be a prediabetes stage where your body isn't responding to your insulin properly. You will likely get medication first and move on to insulin if it becomes necessary but they'll know better what your situation is.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Bio 7
It measures an average blood glucose level for a 3 month period. All diabetics get them done.

If this has only been happening for a few days then it likely won't show up, but I'm not enough of an expert to say for certain, but if you do a test and are below 4.8 that shows there is a problem they need to address and it isn't a mental issue you have conjured up. Normal people shouldn't be dropping much lower because it isn't healthy.

This might be a prediabetes stage where your body isn't responding to your insulin properly. You will likely get medication first and move on to insulin if it becomes necessary but they'll know better what your situation is.

What is normal after eating?
Reply 7
What is normal after eating?

It should rise up to maybe 10 depending on what you've eaten, but any higher and your body is showing signs it can't control those levels properly.
(edited 4 years ago)
Diabetes doesn’t cause low blood sugar. Just sayin.

Quick Reply

Latest