username3477548
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys
I wrote an eight mark answer and was wondering if someone would be able to mark it, please, and give me some pointers. The quasetion was; Explain the effectiveness of the methods of response to a tropical cyclone in a named developed country(8)

IDK if anyone actually wants to mark it, but if someone replies I'll copy and paste my answer.

Thankssss xxxxx
izaakha
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I will mark it. I did GCSE geography, and now I am doing it at A-Level. I remember doing tropical storms very well. Can I just asking if the command work is 'Evaluate' rather than "explain"?- as explain questions are very rarely 8 marks.

Look forward to seeing your answer
username3477548
Rep:
(Original post by izaakha)
I will mark it. I did GCSE geography, and now I am doing it at A-Level. I remember doing tropical storms very well. Can I just asking if the command work is 'Evaluate' rather than "explain"?- as explain questions are very rarely 8 marks.

Look forward to seeing your answer
Thank you sooo much!!!

Here it is... I don't think it's very good though :
(it's evaluate, your right!)

Evaluate the effectiveness of the methods of response to a tropical cyclone in a named developed country(8)

The USA- Hurrican Sandy

The USA, being a developed country, had the means to issue warnings to local authorities and the public, to ensure that people had enough time to evacuate 100s of thousands of people and move to a safer place. But the effectiveness of this may be argued as over 270 people were killed even with the use of an evacuation system. Also, as a response, Barack Obama appealed to people and authorities to remain calm. Schools and transport were closed, and many people were temporarily relocated to evacuations shelters. But, 8.5 million homes were without power, and this meant that 215 patients had to be evacuated at the N.Y United Centre.
Before the cyclone even took place, The US had invested lots into planning, predicting and protection. On the other hand, countries like Haiti were still recovering from the 2010 earthquake, and the fact that they were a developing country meant that there was insufficient planning and prediction.
izaakha
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Sorry about the delay.

I am no expert marker but I would probably mark that 4 or 5. For an 8 mark essay you need to be looking at a very clear essay structure. The first line of the essay is not about response - that is about a preparation. I would talk about the long term and short term responses, and their effectiveness, to the tropical storm - maybe one of them is more significant. I studied Katrina, USA - so I have based my ideas on that - but I presume they are vert similar. You need to very clearly identify the negative points, as the examiners are looking for the 'evaluation' skill, this is why I would recommend separating it into a clear paragraph beginning with - "However, to some extent the effectiveness of the responses to Hurricane Katrina were poor as..."

Structure:

P1 - Short term responses were effective
P2 - Short term responses weren't effective
P3 - Long term responses were effective
P4 - Long term responses weren't effective.
P5 - Conclusion

I always followed that structure and got a grade 8. For an 8 mark question you always need to include a conclusion , just summing it up and giving your opinion on whether it was effective or not - you have to come to a final decision - it probably was effective. as the US is a HIC (AC).

Example using Hurricane Katrina:

Short term was effective:

1. Emergency services responses quickly to fallen buildings
2. Cost guard saved 33,000 people
3. 25,000 people given temporary accommodation in the Superdone

Short term was not effective:

(This is hard to think of so you would only need 1 or 2)
1. 100,000 people were not evacuated - this could have been a result of miscommunication
2. Like you said 270 people were still killed

Long Term was effective:

1. $800 million has been spent on flood defences
2. $34 billion has been set aside to rebuild homes etc.

Long term were was not effective:

1. The poorest residents were not given the same amount of support
Last edited by izaakha; 2 years ago
username3477548
Rep:
(Original post by izaakha)
Sorry about the delay.

I am no expert marker but I would probably mark that 4 or 5. For an 8 mark essay you need to be looking at a very clear essay structure. The first line of the essay is not about response - that is about a preparation. I would talk about the long term and short term responses, and their effectiveness, to the tropical storm - maybe one of them is more significant. I studied Katrina, USA - so I have based my ideas on that - but I presume they are vert similar. You need to very clearly identify the negative points, as the examiners are looking for the 'evaluation' skill, this is why I would recommend separating it into a clear paragraph beginning with - "However, to some extent the effectiveness of the responses to Hurricane Katrina were poor as..."

Structure:

P1 - Short term responses were effective
P2 - Short term responses weren't effective
P3 - Long term responses were effective
P4 - Long term responses weren't effective.
P5 - Conclusion

I always followed that structure and got a grade 8. For an 8 mark question you always need to include a conclusion , just summing it up and giving your opinion on whether it was effective or not - you have to come to a final decision - it probably was effective. as the US is a HIC (AC).

Example using Hurricane Katrina:

Short term was effective:

1. Emergency services responses quickly to fallen buildings
2. Cost guard saved 33,000 people
3. 25,000 people given temporary accommodation in the Superdone

Short term was not effective:

1. 100,000 people were not evacuated - this could have been a result of miscommunication
2. Like you said 270 people were still killed

Long Term was effective:

1. $800 million has been spent on flood defences
2. $34 billion has been set aside to rebuild homes etc.

Long term were was not effective:

1. The poorest residents were not given the same amount of support
thank you so much- really! it hepled me alot xx good luck with you a levels!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (63)
12.68%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.81%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (130)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (43)
8.65%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (236)
47.48%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
3.22%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed