Bombb21
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hi , I’m revising for my assessment tomorrow and just wanted to know what it’s called when a child adds an extra ‘ed’ to word for no reason? As in - “ teddy falled off chair”
iiemse
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I would just call it over extending language rules. But idk
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
That is an example of a virtuous error. It is a mistake in which the child applies general grammatical rules to the language's irregularities. It supports Chomsky's LAD theory. It is an overextension of grammatical rules in the utterance that one would perceive as logucal/plausible, despite the fact that it is actually invalid. These should be looked for when reading the transcript.
Last edited by Tolgash; 11 months ago
Bombb21
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Ohh okay thank u so much

(Original post by Tolgarda)
That is an example of a virtuous error. It is a mistake in which the child applies general grammatical rules to the language's irregularities. It supports Chomsky's LAD theory. It is an overextension of grammatical rules in the utterance that one would perceive as logucal/plausible, despite the fact that it is actually invalid. These should be looked for when reading the transcript.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.27%
I'm not sure (33)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (239)
30.8%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.23%

Watched Threads