IBSurvivivor2002
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Gowda24)
This is almost certainly not possible. There is pretty much no circumstance in which this would be accepted.

The only very rare situation where this could potentially happen is if you start on a course which is very competitive and you would like to switch to a similar course in which the college still, for whatever reason, has places free (eg. lots of people didn't make their offer grades). For instance, if you started off doing medicine and realised you instead wanted to switch to Bio NatSci, this might be possible in very few cases (this is what a Robinson college medic told me once).

Unfortunately, I sincerely doubt that Land Economy to NatSci would be a viable switch. May I ask why you're having second thoughts?
I've just always been interested in both economics and natural sciences, such that in the UK I applied to half my schools for Econ or biology. I think land economy is a good fit because it encompasses a variety of subjects that also engage with the natural environment but I was thinking that maybe I wanted to have a more solid background in the sciences before moving on to the economics/business of it. Maybe is there any way that I could take a combination of the two classes or just enrolled in some Natsci classes while doing land economy? I asked cause I know someone that after her 1rst year of law converted to NatSci.
HandsUp
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by IBSurvivivor2002)
I've just always been interested in both economics and natural sciences, such that in the UK I applied to half my schools for Econ or biology. I think land economy is a good fit because it encompasses a variety of subjects that also engage with the natural environment but I was thinking that maybe I wanted to have a more solid background in the sciences before moving on to the economics/business of it. Maybe is there any way that I could take a combination of the two classes or just enrolled in some Natsci classes while doing land economy? I asked cause I know someone that after her 1rst year of law converted to NatSci.
Don’t you need entrance exams for Nat sci?
Gowda24
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by HandsUp)
Don’t you need entrance exams for Nat sci?
Yeh you need to do the NSAA for NatSci and also have to do the TSA for Land Economy
Gowda24
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by IBSurvivivor2002)
Oh fair enough, I'm guessing you're more interested in the geography side of land economy then? It's funny actually, I've got an offer for NatSci at Christ's (the biological side of NatSci) but if I ever went for another subject I always found economics-related things interesting

I was just wondering, how did you manage to apply for econ and biology at the same time to UK universities? Surely your personal statement contradicted what you were applying for at least at one point?

Sorry, I don't want to sound patronising! It's just UK university admissions tend to be quite subject-specific. Regarding Cambridge specifically, they have strict rules regarding Tripos entry. I mean I'm sure no one would say no if you wanted to attend some NatSci lectures for personal interest, like to supplement your knowledge and get that strong grounding in the sciences, but I sincerely doubt that they'd let you take the exams which go with the part I or II options from two different triposes (I think that's the plural?). I'm assuming from your language that you're maybe from the US? The NatSci subject options are similar, but also very different to how US colleges have "classes," as such. You probably wouldn't be able to take NatSci options and have them contribute to your degree if you do land economy.

The switching that does go on is rare and would have to be approved with your DoS and other supporting faculty. For instance, I know that someone at Christ's, who did like Anglo Saxon Norse and Celtic, started her thesis stuff on topics relating to Anglo Saxon law - I think this let her transfer into Law for her third year and final degree. If I were to offer you any advice, it would probably be to talk things through with someone at the college, express your concerns to them about your future academic path; it's probably not best to make a hasty decision, especially considering that you may change your mind later on.

good luck whatever you decide to do
sofsferr02
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey guys! I'm a bit late to the party, but I just found this chat. I've got an offer for Bio NatSci at Christ's. Good luck with results day, I hope to see you all in October!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (5)
16.13%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (8)
25.81%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (18)
58.06%

Watched Threads