The Student Room Group

How do defence lawyers live with themselves?

How do defence attorneys/lawyers/ solicitors live with themselves knowing they are defending someone who is guilty of committing a crime? When the evidence shows the person to have committed a crime. Do police like defence lawyers as well because of this? I know it’s all about innocent until proven guilty. I could not live with myself knowing I might be defending someone who’s committed murder, rape, sexual assault or any other serious crime when the evidence is against them

Scroll to see replies

This is why I've always wanted to be on prosecution side, but if people weren't given the right to representation when charged then it's be considered arbitrary action and against human rights. So you can't really win.

Not to mention innocence projects exist, sometimes the system gets it wrong.

Besides, put yourself in their position. Not saying you would commit an atrocious crime, but if you did, you'd want someone to represent you, right? No one wants to go to prison.
(edited 4 years ago)
The process of hearing and defending a case against someone is how we determine if the evidence incriminates a person. You might as easily ask, how do lawyers of the prosecution live with themselves knowing they might be advocating for imprisoning innocent people?
They dont live with themselves , they live with money
(edited 4 years ago)
I don’t know but if you’re doing law at uni and not working toward being a defence lawyer then what’s the point?
Original post by IH8Studying
I don’t know but if you’re doing law at uni and not working toward being a defence lawyer then what’s the point?

There's more to law than defence lawyers though?

There's loads of areas of law to practice in that don't involve criminal law.
Reply 6

It’s just an ethical question
Original post by Greywolftwo
How do defence attorneys/lawyers/ solicitors live with themselves knowing they are defending someone who is guilty of committing a crime? When the evidence shows the person to have committed a crime. Do police like defence lawyers as well because of this? I know it’s all about innocent until proven guilty. I could not live with myself knowing I might be defending someone who’s committed murder, rape, sexual assault or any other serious crime when the evidence is against them

They don't know that the person is guilty while they are defending them, do they? The whole point of the trial is to present the evidence so that a verdict may be reached.

I'm sure they live with themselves just fine.
Original post by MidgetFever
There's more to law than defence lawyers though?

There's loads of areas of law to practice in that don't involve criminal law.

I know but that one seems the most enjoyable
Defence lawyers are there to ensure the law carried out correctly, the law is very complex and requires someone with understanding of it to ensure rights are upheld.

They also ensure cases are dealt with efficiently as self representation can significantly slow down trails.
How do prosecution lawyers live with themselves if they end up putting an innocent person in jail? Different side of the same coin. Not every defendant ia guilty. This is why we have trials, this tries to make sure only guilty parties are found guilty.
I know but that one seems the most enjoyable

It is very interesting, but it's also very underpaid due to cuts in legal aid. Most law students hedge towards commercial law as that's where the money lies. I wouldn't say it was pointless going into a law degree for not wanting to get into crim law.
Everyone is entitled to a fair trial. If we decide to railroad a guilty person into jail then it could be someone innocent tomorrow.

Also, would you rather the accused be able to argue that they have not been given a fair trial, making it harder to actually punish them?
Original post by ThuggerThugger
They dont live with themselves , they live with money

They are not well paid with some actually earning below minimum wage.
Original post by MidgetFever
It is very interesting, but it's also very underpaid due to cuts in legal aid. Most law students hedge towards commercial law as that's where the money lies. I wouldn't say it was pointless going into a law degree for not wanting to get into crim law.

They should move to america cause defence lawyers there get TONS of money!

It’s not pointless of course
By getting a nice big salary.
Also some may believe everyone has a right to be represented to make sure court goes fairly and help make sure innocent people don't go to prison.
You are probably a naïve member of public who thinks Police are always right and do there job properly but the truth is they don't and our useless.

Also defence lawyers would rather be proper lawyers than be safe no competition CPS lawyers who are crap.
Reply 16
They are performing a crucial public service
Reply 17
What a debate, what a debate
Defence lawyers are motivated by at least one of four things: justice for everyone including the very worst of criminal offenders, winning in an adversarial environment, money or some type of socio-political-religious agenda.
I've worked with defence lawyers that fall into each category, some that multiple categories apply to.
Original post by Greywolftwo

I agree. This may be a media perception, but borderline, if not lying to get your client off when you know they're guilty is quite a scummy thing to do. But the general rule is everybody is entitled to a defense. I do get your ethical worries. I guess the answer is people will do anything for the dolla. Capitalism 101.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending