Say your at a red traffic light and police/ambulance but the sirens on Watch

ThuggerThugger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Do you have to go through if you’re directly blocking them and the only way to get clear is to go through the lights? Hasn’t happened to me but just wondering what the rules are.
MrMusician95
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
Rules? Why would you not want to drive through a red light to let an emergency services vehicle through?
Ozcan696969
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You might be at a junction and the if you go forward cars might hit you
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ThuggerThugger)
Do you have to go through if you’re directly blocking them and the only way to get clear is to go through the lights? Hasn’t happened to me but just wondering what the rules are.
No, that would be unsafe and illegal. Just pull over as best as you can to clear space. The emergency services don't have a policy of getting through at any cost - they understand that safety comes first.
MrMusician95
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ozcan696969)
You might be at a junction and the if you go forward cars might hit you
I thought as long as it is safe was a given? LOL my bad, I meant as long as it is safe.
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
(Original post by Democracy)
No, that would be unsafe and illegal. Just pull over as best as you can to clear space. The emergency services don't have a policy of getting through at any cost - they understand that safety comes first.
So essentially even if they can clearly not get through they just have to wait?
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
So essentially even if they can clearly not get through they just have to wait?
Yes, as far as I'm aware.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You cannot cross a red light to let an emergency vehicle pass. It's silly, but it's true, and if you were to be flashed by a camera you could not use this as a defence.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by MrMusician95)
Rules? Why would you not want to drive through a red light to let an emergency services vehicle through?
It is illegal to cross a light on red.
Zarek
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Response drivers are trained not to bully other road users in to doing something illegal. So you will find they turn of the sirens in the situation you describe and just leave the lights on. So make space if you can without crossing a stop line but never feel you have to do something illegal. I think there would be benefit in the Highway Code having some more detail on this.
MrMusician95
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
It is illegal to cross a light on red.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mir...y-10382190.amp

I'm just saw this. Yikes.
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
Thanks peeps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (98)
33.56%
No I don't (135)
46.23%
I work during the holidays (59)
20.21%

Watched Threads