Shlebzy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So I’m choosing my A levels, and for definite I’m doing Chemistry and Biology, but I can’t pick between History and German, and the school said not to do four?

I find History and German just as enjoyable as each other, and I’m equally as able in both, so I was thinking, which is better, in terms of what universities want? Which looks better? Would universities prefer a language or history a level?

Should I just do a history a level and carry on German on the side?

Thanks for your help in advance!
fugitive12345
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Shlebzy,

After the enjoyability of a subject, you should consider which subject do you have a higher chance of getting an A or A* in. If you find this tied up I would argue that it is always good to keep as many career opportunities open. Opinions and choices at 16 years of age are quite ephemeral; you seem a person interested in the sciences, but sometime later you may have the feeling you want to pursue a career that is underpinned through the study of History and related subjects.

If you are sure about what career you want to pursue (which is not related to History or Politics or Diplomacy) I would argue it would be much better to continue in a language.

I am a student studying Year 11, so I would recommend everything I have said should be taken with a little bit of salt.
Last edited by fugitive12345; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• De Montfort University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Undergraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19
  • Regent's University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (78)
18.98%
Labour (202)
49.15%
Liberal Democrats (57)
13.87%
Green Party (26)
6.33%
Brexit Party (5)
1.22%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.73%
SNP (8)
1.95%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.73%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.46%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (2)