D.akpan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I’m in yr12 and i wanna study either economics or finance at uni. I just want to know if i can study it based on my A-levels, i study: Economics, accounting and English
Also how much maths is involved in an economics or finance degree
Cheesybread
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
In both of those there is maths, but with economics you would just do a Ba course. Unsure on fiance as i do Economics. Those are fine choices, i did the same bar English, for which it did ICT. You are just slightled limited in terms of going to top top uni's like Oxford, LSE etc, but you can still get into Nottingham, Birmingham Leeds so it's fine. Just so long as you passed GCSE maths you'll be fine.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The majority of economics courses require A-level Maths, so you will find yourself very limited in your options on the economics side. Moreover, economics at university level is necessarily mathematical, so you need to be able and willing to do A-level (and beyond) maths content on a daily basis for that degree. If that kind of work is not appealing or not something you could do, you shouldn't plan to do economics.

Finance degrees vary widely, some are just business/management degrees with a slight focus on accounting and/or finance, while others are very mathematical. The more mathematical ones will normally require A-level Maths, and will probably be similarly mathematical to an economics degree in terms of the frequency with which you'll be doing mathematical work. The less mathematical courses however may not include much mathematical content and it may not be far beyond GCSE level maths. For this option you will need to carefully investigate the course content for each course individually.
WhateverHowever
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It would probably help to do an AS in core maths if ur school does it btw. It would help demonstrate the maths skills needed.
D.akpan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cheesybread)
In both of those there is maths, but with economics you would just do a Ba course. Unsure on fiance as i do Economics. Those are fine choices, i did the same bar English, for which it did ICT. You are just slightled limited in terms of going to top top uni's like Oxford, LSE etc, but you can still get into Nottingham, Birmingham Leeds so it's fine. Just so long as you passed GCSE maths you'll be fine.
What degree do you think is more appealing to employers: Bsc economics or Ba economics
Cheesybread
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by D.akpan)
What degree do you think is more appealing to employers: Bsc economics or Ba economics
Honestly it depends on what you want to get into. Most jobs won't care, i would say try to do an econometrics module, that is the key in my opinion, just so you have the basics of econometrics, as some higher end jobs do care about that A few jobs may want maths at A-Levels, but i'm applying for graduate roles now, and that number is less than 5%
D.akpan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cheesybread)
Honestly it depends on what you want to get into. Most jobs won't care, i would say try to do an econometrics module, that is the key in my opinion, just so you have the basics of econometrics, as some higher end jobs do care about that A few jobs may want maths at A-Levels, but i'm applying for graduate roles now, and that number is less than 5%
Thank you so much this helps a lot. Also what jobs can i do with an economics or finance degree
Cheesybread
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by D.akpan)
Thank you so much this helps a lot. Also what jobs can i do with an economics or finance degree
With economics your options i would say are more open. You should just google it, as there are so many
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (373)
44.19%
No (89)
10.55%
I'm not old enough (382)
45.26%

Watched Threads