uptowngirl_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi.

Im a first year student studying computer science and I wanted to know if there are any opportunities for internships in summer. Most of the opportunities are banking spring weeks, but I wanted something related to tech. If you have any suggestions they would be much appreciated.

Thank you
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That will depend a lot on how your overall technical skills are right now. Did you have a strong technical/computing background before you started your degree? (did you study A-Level computer science beforehand? or have a background in computers/tech before university?) - for example, could you include any strong examples of work you've done on your CV, like the A-Level CS project? That will help a lot.

Generally speaking there's far fewer summer placements and fewer companies who take summer interns compared with those who offer 12-month sandwich placements.

You'll see summer interns for a lot of big companies just by searching around Google and looking at sites like milkround or gradcracker - these will have attracted hundreds of applications though, so will be very competitive to get into. That's not to say you shouldn't apply to them, but remember that your CV/application will probably be just one in a pile of 400 others.

It can make a really huge difference to you chances at getting those placements if you've got skills on your CV which really stand out compared with other undergrads, -- i.e. anything to suggest you're aready the kind of person who'd be able to pick up a project and get started on it, and that you'd be starting with a decent set of technical skills.

A few places you could look:
- Check your local area for tech companies of any size (small/medium companies too) and make the effort to contact them with your CV to let them know what your skills are, then asking whether they'd ever consider taking anyone on for a summer internship
- Search through LinkedIn and IT job sites like CWJobs for companies who are offering other junior-level IT jobs then contact those too
- Look towards family members and family friends to find out whether the companies they work for would have anything.
- Search on e4s: https://www.e4s.co.uk/search/internship-jobs

Other alternatives
- Next year's Google Summer of Code (applications aren't open yet): https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/get-started/
- GCHQ: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/employer...arning-2680460
uptowngirl_
Rep:
?
(Original post by winterscoming)
That will depend a lot on how your overall technical skills are right now. Did you have a strong technical/computing background before you started your degree? (did you study A-Level computer science beforehand? or have a background in computers/tech before university?) - for example, could you include any strong examples of work you've done on your CV, like the A-Level CS project? That will help a lot.

Generally speaking there's far fewer summer placements and fewer companies who take summer interns compared with those who offer 12-month sandwich placements.

You'll see summer interns for a lot of big companies just by searching around Google and looking at sites like milkround or gradcracker - these will have attracted hundreds of applications though, so will be very competitive to get into. That's not to say you shouldn't apply to them, but remember that your CV/application will probably be just one in a pile of 400 others.

It can make a really huge difference to you chances at getting those placements if you've got skills on your CV which really stand out compared with other undergrads, -- i.e. anything to suggest you're aready the kind of person who'd be able to pick up a project and get started on it, and that you'd be starting with a decent set of technical skills.

A few places you could look:
- Check your local area for tech companies of any size (small/medium companies too) and make the effort to contact them with your CV to let them know what your skills are, then asking whether they'd ever consider taking anyone on for a summer internship
- Search through LinkedIn and IT job sites like CWJobs for companies who are offering other junior-level IT jobs then contact those too
- Look towards family members and family friends to find out whether the companies they work for would have anything.
- Search on e4s: https://www.e4s.co.uk/search/internship-jobs

Other alternatives
- Next year's Google Summer of Code (applications aren't open yet): https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/get-started/
- GCHQ: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/employer...arning-2680460
Thanks a lot for the help.

My technical skills are decent, although in regards to coding Im a beginner (java). I can edit/manipulate sites etc and do html emails, although these are pretty nice skills and there are not many schemes out for them.

would it be a good idea to apply for more business/admin related internships this year, and then go for something more technical in second year when my skills are better?

if so, what is out there that youd suggest
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by uptowngirl_)
Thanks a lot for the help.

My technical skills are decent, although in regards to coding Im a beginner (java). I can edit/manipulate sites etc and do html emails, although these are pretty nice skills and there are not many schemes out for them.

would it be a good idea to apply for more business/admin related internships this year, and then go for something more technical in second year when my skills are better?

if so, what is out there that youd suggest
I wouldn't discourage you at all from applying for anything you find, it's just worth remembering that you'll be up against alot of people who will have done CompSci at A-Level and other things to make themselves stand out.

Are you planning on a 12-month industrial placement after the second year? If your university has that option then I'd definitely recommend it - it's a huge boost to your degree and to your employability at the end. The 12-month placements are better than the short 3-month summer internships for learning and gaining experience - there's only so much you can really get from 3 months in a job; that time flies pretty quickly, and employers can invest alot more time and mentoring into someone who is staying with them for a whole year.

As for business/admin internships, I don't really see that being so helpful to your degree (especially if you take a 12-month placement after Year 2), so it's probably not going to be all that useful. Unless you're just looking for something to fill the time and earn some extra money, in which case go for it!

The Google Summer of Code is also worthwhile if you're accepted onto that (open source projects are really good for gaining experience). Again, it gets a lot of applications, but there's alot more time to prepare too.

There might be internships in areas which aren't as heavily focused on programming but would be relevant to the degree. For example, Software testing (particularly automation testing is great for getting experience). Another possibility could be anything Data Science related (some programming, probably in Python, but more about statistics, excel, SQL and data analysis)
bigboateng_
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by uptowngirl_)
Hi.

Im a first year student studying computer science and I wanted to know if there are any opportunities for internships in summer. Most of the opportunities are banking spring weeks, but I wanted something related to tech. If you have any suggestions they would be much appreciated.

Thank you
There are a ton of internships you can apply to as a first year, I have knowledge about outside UK internships, mostly in the USA. Its very easy for them to sponsor the visa to do the internship abroad so thats not the issue, the main things will be if you have the prior experience. For a first year student they will mostly be looking at your side projects and github. Its just mid november so theres still time to quickly work on stuff during weekends to fill up your CV and github. You want these projects to be public. Realistic skills that will help is some web programming technologies such as React/Angular/NextJs and some basic node. Enough to do simple projects like todo list etc. Or if you prefer apps learning basics of ios/android and building basic apps, linking to your github etc. That along side with getting to know the basics of data structures. Data structures and algorithms is only a problem if you are applying to say google/amazon/apple etc. But there are still companies you can apply to which have very low requirements, these include.

Lower requirements in terms of skill/knowledge: You should definitely apply to companies below
- Shazam (UK)
- Asos
- Cisco,
- BBC

Then mid tier is probably these.
- bloomberg
- ibm

These companies have requirements that are slighly harder than the above but not really difficult either.

Then at the top are these. I dont know your skill level but this would require knowledge you have gained either before uni or in your spare time. Definetely whatever content you've covered in your uni course so far in first year wont cut it. I got my first internship in uni during first year, and i applied before uni even started. so thats the kind of competition for these companies. However you should still apply to get a feeling of the process. But set it as a goal for 2nd year atleast.
- google
- facebook
- amazon
- spotify, etc
- linkedIn
- uber
- lyft
- pretty much any tech company (most of them have offices all around europe and you could also go to america!)

Here are some helpful videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02AXP5eI6PE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1ZdRt7q4Wc (on google)

feel free to ping me for any questions you may have
uptowngirl_
Rep:
?
(Original post by bigboateng_)
There are a ton of internships you can apply to as a first year, I have knowledge about outside UK internships, mostly in the USA. Its very easy for them to sponsor the visa to do the internship abroad so thats not the issue, the main things will be if you have the prior experience. For a first year student they will mostly be looking at your side projects and github. Its just mid november so theres still time to quickly work on stuff during weekends to fill up your CV and github. You want these projects to be public. Realistic skills that will help is some web programming technologies such as React/Angular/NextJs and some basic node. Enough to do simple projects like todo list etc. Or if you prefer apps learning basics of ios/android and building basic apps, linking to your github etc. That along side with getting to know the basics of data structures. Data structures and algorithms is only a problem if you are applying to say google/amazon/apple etc. But there are still companies you can apply to which have very low requirements, these include.

Lower requirements in terms of skill/knowledge: You should definitely apply to companies below
- Shazam (UK)
- Asos
- Cisco,
- BBC

Then mid tier is probably these.
- bloomberg
- ibm

These companies have requirements that are slighly harder than the above but not really difficult either.

Then at the top are these. I dont know your skill level but this would require knowledge you have gained either before uni or in your spare time. Definetely whatever content you've covered in your uni course so far in first year wont cut it. I got my first internship in uni during first year, and i applied before uni even started. so thats the kind of competition for these companies. However you should still apply to get a feeling of the process. But set it as a goal for 2nd year atleast.
- google
- facebook
- amazon
- spotify, etc
- linkedIn
- uber
- lyft
- pretty much any tech company (most of them have offices all around europe and you could also go to america!)

Here are some helpful videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02AXP5eI6PE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1ZdRt7q4Wc (on google)

feel free to ping me for any questions you may have
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (511)
33.71%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (627)
41.36%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (309)
20.38%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.55%

Watched Threads