Crushes give me anxiety Watch

galwatson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi everyone, I'm a 20 year old girl and I've never dated anyone before. I don't lack guys who show interest in me so that's not the problem. The problem is I avoid contact with every guy who I might potentially crush on, because crushing on someone gives me a bunch of anxiety. For one, I tend to crush on any guy who gives me a bit more attention, and then I feel like I need to please them even at my own expense, which makes me feel really cheap. For another-- and this is the main reason-- I can't get my mind off my crushes, which is really annoying and affects me when I'm trying to work or spend time with my family. So I avoid speaking with guys who I find attractive in real life, and I avoid speaking with guys at all online because I'm afraid I might fall for them. Yep it's weird, I know, but it's true. Anyway, I'd like to make male friends even with guys I find cute (!) and I'm not opposed to actually trying my hand at dating as well. Does anyone have any advice on how I can stop feeling anxious about developing feelings for someone? This is really starting to get ridiculous and if this continues I'll never get a boyfriend because I'll just continue to cut off contact with any guy who I feel attracted to. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
luckykitty679
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by galwatson)
Hi everyone, I'm a 20 year old girl and I've never dated anyone before. I don't lack guys who show interest in me so that's not the problem. The problem is I avoid contact with every guy who I might potentially crush on, because crushing on someone gives me a bunch of anxiety. For one, I tend to crush on any guy who gives me a bit more attention, and then I feel like I need to please them even at my own expense, which makes me feel really cheap. For another-- and this is the main reason-- I can't get my mind off my crushes, which is really annoying and affects me when I'm trying to work or spend time with my family. So I avoid speaking with guys who I find attractive in real life, and I avoid speaking with guys at all online because I'm afraid I might fall for them. Yep it's weird, I know, but it's true. Anyway, I'd like to make male friends even with guys I find cute (!) and I'm not opposed to actually trying my hand at dating as well. Does anyone have any advice on how I can stop feeling anxious about developing feelings for someone? This is really starting to get ridiculous and if this continues I'll never get a boyfriend because I'll just continue to cut off contact with any guy who I feel attracted to. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
I had this same exact problem before but I got over it by attempting to speak to them first. I know it sounds a bit weird, but I started small. Start by smiling at them or even asking a question and push yourself each day. I know it's challenging but you won't get over it unless you try. Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (89)
18.86%
Labour (234)
49.58%
Liberal Democrats (62)
13.14%
Green Party (28)
5.93%
Brexit Party (6)
1.27%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.64%
SNP (10)
2.12%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.64%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.27%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (2)