Masculinity and being friends with guys. Watch

anonymous11123xo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm a gay guy and I wouldn't say I'm overwhelmingly effeminate; whilst I do enjoy an array of musicals and 'camp things', I also love rap and 'masculine things'. The way I look isn't really masculine but I really want this to change (and I realise that I'm the only one who can make this a reality). I've been friends with girls all of my life, my best friend is a girl and my group in high school was full of girls (I'm in my first year of college). I'm not that stereotypical 'gay best friend': I won't comment on my girl friends' pictures with compliments on the way they look nor do I give them fashion advice, and perhaps the most paramount thing to mention is that I cannot STAND the melodrama that radiates from them. I don't have much in common with straight guys (I must also mention that the thought of having a best friend who is also gay makes want to curl up in a ball - as previously stated, I'm not that 'stereotypical gay' in a sense and I feel like there needs to be a balance with who I'm friends with) yet I really want to be friends with them as they're much more down to earth with everything - they don't get overly emotional over one insignificant thing which happened 5 years ago at 2:37 pm. The only problem which arises from this is that, being me, I would probably end up catching feelings if they were good looking and had a great personality despite the fact that they liked women. I also feel like straight guys wouldn't want to be friends with a gay guy, and even if they did, I wouldn't mean as much to them as they do to me. In addition to this feeling, I have such a low self-esteem and am self-conscious about the way I look. I'm not one of those attention seeking people who claim they're ugly when they really are not (because not to sound pompous and narcissistic, if I were extremely good looking, I feel like I would have the capability to recognise this) - I know I am not good looking, but I'm also positive that if I made drastic changes to my appearance I could probably be classed as that. So, straight men, I implore you to answer my question: would you be able to be best friends with a gay guy, even if they weren't into everything that you were, such as sports etc? It appears to me to be an overstatement that most men wouldn't have a problem with this.
RandomNortherner
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Bit sexist to say that all women are melodramatic
anonymous11123xo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by RandomNortherner)
Bit sexist to say that all women are melodramatic
Instead of accusing me of sexism, please read the post more carefully. I was reference MY female friends, not all women.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (68)
19.43%
Labour (170)
48.57%
Liberal Democrats (49)
14%
Green Party (21)
6%
Brexit Party (4)
1.14%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.86%
SNP (8)
2.29%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.86%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (5)
1.43%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)