Is it normal to not have friends at uni? Watch

bioenthusiast
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi,
I'm in my second year and I feel so alone. I do know people, but I don't have any close friends at uni. The friends I made ('friends') during freshers drifted away for no reason at all, and seemed to just exclude me last year.

I have some people on my course who I'll sit with in lectures and the like, but other than that, I don't really have anything in common with them.

It's so hard being lonely at uni when everyone else around you is living their best life. It's painful going home, when I meet up with my mates and they all discuss their amazing uni antics and I feel like such a worthless loser. It's so hard to make new friends in second year. I've tried a few societies but it didn't really work out.

Any advice? Is this normal? I hate being alone all the time tbh, I can enjoy my own company but I just don't like being lonely. It's really depressing and I cry myself to sleep a lot.
squeakypop
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sorry you’re feeling this way

I think it is remarkably common, but all the lonely people never meet the other lonelies so they think they’re the only ones! I felt similarly after I took a year out, but I was lucky that I was at a collegiate uni and just followed the people in my college doing my course around til we were friends lol.

Have you tried Bumble BFF? I’ve had lots of nice “friend dates” from there. If you’re interested in politics, getting involved in campaigning (which there will be lots of atm!) is a nice way to find a group of people with similar interests and tends to tie-in with social events.

Two of my best uni friends were people I met on my course in third year. If you have things like seminars or lab projects these are great people to try and connect with. Keep going with trying societies! You only have to meet the right person once to have a friend for life!

If you’re ever bored or lonely feel free to message me
study beats
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I never made close friends at uni either .

What a waste
University of Bradford
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by bioenthusiast)
Hi,
I'm in my second year and I feel so alone. I do know people, but I don't have any close friends at uni. The friends I made ('friends') during freshers drifted away for no reason at all, and seemed to just exclude me last year.

I have some people on my course who I'll sit with in lectures and the like, but other than that, I don't really have anything in common with them.

It's so hard being lonely at uni when everyone else around you is living their best life. It's painful going home, when I meet up with my mates and they all discuss their amazing uni antics and I feel like such a worthless loser. It's so hard to make new friends in second year. I've tried a few societies but it didn't really work out.

Any advice? Is this normal? I hate being alone all the time tbh, I can enjoy my own company but I just don't like being lonely. It's really depressing and I cry myself to sleep a lot.
Hey!

I'm really sorry to hear you're feeling this way. You're definitely not alone, there will be so many others in the exact same boat.

You said the societies didn't work out for you, what about becoming a student ambassador or volunteering? You can meet new people that way, and hopefully build some great bonds!

Are there any activities outside of university that you could try out? Any clubs or groups?

Making friends can be hard sometimes, these things can just take time.

Wishing you all the best!

Becky
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?