How important is the University league table? Watch

DavidKV
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello all!

My UCAS application was sent off last Monday, I've been offered a place at 4 of the 5 I applied at (Studying Cyber Security and Forensic Computing), and I'm currently waiting to hear back from UWE - Bristol which I substituted for Portsmouth on Friday as I had decided against that particular university.

I'm really stuck on deciding my first and second choice. I applied at Sheffield Hallam, Bournemouth, Middlesex, UWE and Winchester. I went for quite a variety in terms of where they're placed on the league table, and as it stands, I'll most likely get the grades required for all 4 (& Bristol if they offer me a place).

I quite like the idea of Winchester, but I noticed it's 106th on the league table. I'm also very interested in Sheffield Hallam, which is 73rd on the league table. The highest ranking is UWE, which is 55th. The thing that makes me think twice however, is that for my particular course, looking on discoveruni.gov.uk, the overall satisfaction rate is highest at Winchester, which ironically is lowest on the uni league table.

Just trying to gain some clarity on whether the league table tells the whole story. Thanks in advance for your replies!
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I wouldnt read too much into league tables. They are useful as a guide and that is it. If there is a large difference in positions that may be worth considering but say 20 positions it really isnt worth looking at. Subject tables are particularly unreliable as they involve small numbers for student satisfaction and a few bad feeling students have a big effect in the position on the subject ranking tables.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The fact that there are several "league tables" should be a clue to their authority.
University of Portsmouth
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DavidKV)
Hello all!

My UCAS application was sent off last Monday, I've been offered a place at 4 of the 5 I applied at (Studying Cyber Security and Forensic Computing), and I'm currently waiting to hear back from UWE - Bristol which I substituted for Portsmouth on Friday as I had decided against that particular university.

I'm really stuck on deciding my first and second choice. I applied at Sheffield Hallam, Bournemouth, Middlesex, UWE and Winchester. I went for quite a variety in terms of where they're placed on the league table, and as it stands, I'll most likely get the grades required for all 4 (& Bristol if they offer me a place).

I quite like the idea of Winchester, but I noticed it's 106th on the league table. I'm also very interested in Sheffield Hallam, which is 73rd on the league table. The highest ranking is UWE, which is 55th. The thing that makes me think twice however, is that for my particular course, looking on discoveruni.gov.uk, the overall satisfaction rate is highest at Winchester, which ironically is lowest on the uni league table.

Just trying to gain some clarity on whether the league table tells the whole story. Thanks in advance for your replies!
Hi DavidKV

Sad to hear this, but wishing you the best of luck in your other choices!

Only you know which University is best for you. Sometimes its good to look at league tables to get an idea for the course, but I wouldn't necessarily base your overall decision on this. What one person likes or dislikes in a course/university is completely different to another.

I would advice visiting your top choices and really getting a feel for them, Winchester really is a lovely place and if that's the one you like most then stick with your gut feeling.

I hope this helps

Alex - UoP Rep
Sheffield Hallam University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hello all!

Hi DavidKV,

While league tables give you some guidance about a universities national position, there is really a lot more to it than this. A lot of universities lower down in the league tables have their own unique offering which can really benefit students depending on what they want to get out of their degree! For example Hallam has the Highly Skilled Employment offer which means you will have opportunities for work experience and developing your employability guaranteed to be embedded in your degree as well as support with finding a job once you graduate, preparing you for life beyond uni throughout your time here.

There are also other awards to consider! Hallam recently won University of the Year for Teaching Quality in The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2020 - you can find out why here. It is worth looking into this more as it helps you understand what you can expect from our teaching.

Where are you from originally? It is also worth considering the wider picture. How easy is the city to get to? Will you enjoy the location you choose? Sheffield is a very student focused city with lots going on and it's right next to the Peak District if you like to get out and about! You can find out what our students think here or order our city guide to help you explore the Sheffield here. It could also be worth looking to see if there is a student on a similar course that you can give you a good insight here.

I hope this helps. We have an open day this Saturday which would be worth coming to as well. Let me know if you have any questions about the course, studying at Hallam or student life in Sheffield

Thanks,
Ella
Last edited by Sheffield Hallam University; 3 weeks ago
BU Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hello all!

I agree with the others about the league tables, they vary so much on a yearly basis and depend on the student experience that year etc.

Have you been to visit all of the uni's at their open days? Are you familiar with the towns/cities? What about accommodation options? Travel time to get home? Sport or other societies? Units on each of the courses (as these are likely to differ), placement opportunities?

It sounds as if you have based your options on the tables rather than some of the above? As much as the quality of your degree is important please consider that where you attend will be your home for a minimum of three years so it's really important you can feel happy here.

If you haven't already, you can find information on BU open days here.

Please let me know if you have any questions about Bournemouth.

Vicki
Christiantaylor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello all!

The league tables aren't really worth that much to be honest, I don't know where your from but I used to live near Winchester and it's quite boring, not a big place and the uni is not great at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (176)
48.75%
No (44)
12.19%
I'm not old enough (141)
39.06%

Watched Threads