Can my tutor post my work on social media Watch

harlytinke1334
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm doing a photography course and my tutor asked if she could post my pictures on social media I said no but she still done it anyway where do I stand?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sue her in court for copyright infringement.
harlytinke1334
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Sue her in court for copyright infringement.
the account the teacher made was supposed to be for students but she's had another people to it who we don't know and ask them not to be added
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ask whoever hosts the social media to have this work removed.
haventmetyou
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Go to her privately and ask her to take them down. If she still doesn't after that, go to a senior member of staff and ask them to speak to your teacher and the situation should sort itself out from there.
harlytinke1334
Rep:
?
(Original post by barnetlad)
Ask whoever hosts the social media to have this work removed.
it did i didnt want it up there she said its a go lerning experience
DiddyDecAlt
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You own the image and she does not have permission to use it, see if you can get it removed through copyright.
harlytinke1334
Rep:
?
i have her tomorrow and i have all my Originals she has scans of pictures I've done so she doesn't have my originals
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You need to tell her tomorrow that your work must be removed asap. Be polite.
If she tells you to let it go or refuses then tell her, again calmly and politely, that you are going to the head of department to request that they remove them.
You can also write a letter of complaint to the head of the board of governors giving the full details of what happened.
They are your pictures and you refused permission. That’s enough.
Have you told your parents?
harlytinke1334
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sammylou40)
You need to tell her tomorrow that your work must be removed asap. Be polite.
If she tells you to let it go or refuses then tell her, again calmly and politely, that you are going to the head of department to request that they remove them.
You can also write a letter of complaint to the head of the board of governors giving the full details of what happened.
They are your pictures and you refused permission. That’s enough.
Have you told your parents?
my mum was the one that found the groupchat and i will defntly but i have also been told i can sue her
harlytinke1334
Rep:
?
The the social media page was supposed to be for students only and my mum decided to test it and see if she could be added to it and she added my mum to it and other people we refused to be later on to this group chat but we don't know if it's because she's my mum
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by harlytinke1334)
my mum was the one that found the groupchat and i will defntly but i have also been told i can sue her
In theory you can but because it’s a civil matter you will have to pay all the expenses. Solicitors etc. And that does not come cheap
Are you bothered about your pictures being posted or are you looking for some quick cash?
you could lose and owe thousands and it can take years.
Focus on getting your pictures removed and getting an apology. That’s enough in this case
harlytinke1334
Rep:
?
In theory you can but because it’s a civil matter you will have to pay all the expenses. Solicitors etc. And that does not come cheap
Are you bothered about your pictures being posted or are you looking for some quick cash?
you could lose and owe thousands and it can take years.
Focus on getting your pictures removed and getting an apology. That’s enough in this case
i dont care about money i care about my pictures i own them
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
i dont care about money i care about my pictures i own them
Then just concentrate on getting them removed
harlytinke1334
Rep:
?
Then just concentrate on getting them removed
i more wanted to know if i had the rights for her to removing them or if i had no say
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
i more wanted to know if i had the rights for her to removing them or if i had no say
Yes you absolutely do have the right to have them removed. Even more so because when she asked you said no and she did it anyway.
If I were you, because you asked already, I would ask your mum to write a letter for you to take in.
Say you want them removed immediately and that you and your parents will take it further if she doesn’t.
If your mum wants help writing a letter pm me
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It isn't as simple as just suing them.
I doubt you even have your work copyrighted?

Not to mention that some colleges/universities have policies in place that mean any of the work you do under them is owned by them.

Go and speak to the head of your department instead, and ask for them to be removed.
Last edited by MidgetFever; 3 weeks ago
harlytinke1334
Rep:
?
(Original post by MidgetFever)

Not to mention that some colleges/universities have policies in place that mean any of the work you do under them is owned by them.

Go and speak to the head of your department instead, and ask for them to be removed.
i see what you mean i dont want to have to but she ask permission for one picture which I said no to and she posted 5 others without asking so
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
i see what you mean i dont want to have to but she ask permission for one picture which I said no to and she posted 5 others without asking so
Exactly, so go and speak to your head of department first.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)
She automatically owns the copyright to her own photographs, as per the Berne Convention.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (379)
44.17%
No (90)
10.49%
I'm not old enough (389)
45.34%

Watched Threads