V1533 – Preservation of War Memorials Bill 2019 Watch

Poll: Should this Bill be made into law?
As many as are of the opinion, aye (23)
65.71%
On the contrary, no (7)
20%
Abstain (5)
14.29%
This discussion is closed.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
B1533– Preservation of War Memorials Bill 2019, TSR Government

Preservation of War Memorials Bill 2019

An Act to bestow upon local authorities the statutory duty to maintain war memorials.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most excellent Majesty, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1: Statutory Duty
The following is inserted into Section 1 of the War Memorials (Local Authorities’ Powers) Act 1923:

(2) Where any war memorial is in a state of disrepair, the primary local authority has a statutory duty to incur reasonable expenditure in its restoration, and to carry out this restoration as soon as is reasonably possible.

2: Definitions
The following is inserted into Section 4 of the War Memorials (Local Authorities’ Powers) Act 1923:

(2) In this Act the expression 'primary local authority' means the council of a county, or the council of a borough or district where there is no council of a county.

3: Extent, Commencement and Short Title
(1) This Act extends to England.
(2) The provisions of this Act come into force immediately.
(3) This Act may be cited as the Preservation of War Memorials Act 2019.

Notes
The War Memorials (Local Authorities’ Powers) Act 1923 currently bestows on local authorities the right to spend money maintaining war memorials in their area. This bill proposes that this right be converted into a statutory duty. As we once again remember our war dead, we should not overlook the fact that our war memorials are getting ever older too, and it is essential that an accountable process be put in place to ensure they are maintained into the future.

barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Aye.
TheRadishPrince
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Aye, definitely.
The Mogg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Nay, I don't feel this bill is actually needed, most if not all councils already do a good job at up keeping war memorials. As mentioned by JD, seems like nothing more than political point scoring by Her Majesty's government.
Glaz
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
:ditto:
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Seems reasonable.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
A bill for the sake of a bill, the government was asked for examples of war memorials not being maintained and failed to provide even one, thereby giving me no compelling reason to believe this is in any way necessary.
abucha3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
Nay, I don't feel this bill is actually needed, most if not all councils already do a good job at up keeping war memorials. As mentioned by JD, seems like nothing more than political point scoring by Her Majesty's government.
I completely agree with this point, Nay from me
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Order, order!

The Ayes to the right: 23
The Noes to the left: 7
Abstains: 5

The ayes have it, the ayes have it. Unlock!

Turnout 74.47%
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (180)
48.91%
No (44)
11.96%
I'm not old enough (144)
39.13%

Watched Threads