Kialo29
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
hi im choosing a level options soon and im wondering just how difficult a level further maths is. i am predicited a grade 9 at gcse and i work very hard, and im planning on taking maths, french and history also. please could someone who has done or is in the process of doing the new further maths spec please tell me how difficult it is, thanks.
roseabates
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Kialo29)
hi im choosing a level options soon and im wondering just how difficult a level further maths is. i am predicited a grade 9 at gcse and i work very hard, and im planning on taking maths, french and history also. please could someone who has done or is in the process of doing the new further maths spec please tell me how difficult it is, thanks.
Oh my gosh we are planning on taking the exact same a levels ahah. However, I have chosen not to do further maths simply because after speaking to our school's advisors I have been told that it is not particularly helpful unless you want to go into engineering or a maths profession. Sorry I don't have any experience of it but good luck with decisions! x
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by roseabates)
Oh my gosh we are planning on taking the exact same a levels ahah. However, I have chosen not to do further maths simply because after speaking to our school's advisors I have been told that it is not particularly helpful unless you want to go into engineering or a maths profession. Sorry I don't have any experience of it but good luck with decisions! x
That careers person should be sacked - what untrue advice!
Kialo29
Rep:
?
(Original post by roseabates)
Thanks anyways. I’m going to speak to my school soon.
😊
Kialo29
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
That careers person should be sacked - what untrue advice!
Thanks for the reply. Is further maths useful for getting into uni?
glodigit
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's not that hard at all if you do Edexcel. They have the textbooks with all the questions. Just play a live progressive radio video on youtube and grind through them all. It's all about proficiency. 1.5 hours in the exam is almost nothing when you're sitting it.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks for the reply. Is further maths useful for getting into uni?
You have 3 solid choices and F Maths would complement the Maths - any ideas about possible degrees?

Put your choices in here: https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer
riekeleah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It depends how your school does it. Mine does maths A level in year 12 and take the exams at the end of year 12, and then further maths in year 13. I got a 9 at GCSE and completely flopped A level, and dropped off further maths and back into regular maths. It’s so hard to keep on top of everything when you go through it that fast. If you do the courses side by side across the 2 years, it should be manageable
Kialo29
Rep:
?
You have 3 solid choices and F Maths would complement the Maths - any ideas about possible degrees?

Put your choices in here: https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer
hey im planning on law or math teaching
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
hey im planning on law or math teaching
Do F Maths then - you'll have a much wider choice of Maths degrees.
Kialo29
Rep:
?
Do F Maths then - you'll have a much wider choice of Maths degrees.
Ok thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (282)
47%
No (69)
11.5%
I'm not old enough (249)
41.5%

Watched Threads