Averaging £20 per week on groceries. How does my shopping look and is this too much? Watch

SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
20 per week excludes the 14 I spend on protein powder which I suspect lasts a month, and the odd shop where I need to top up milk/peanut butter. And also me getting ripped off by campus vending machines when I feel like crap during lectures and need energy.

Context - I shop at Lidl, I eat at a caloric surplus and I average about 140g of protein a day.

This was my shopping list for today of £28

Oats 89p
4 Beef punders £1.89
15 eggs £1.18
Frankfurter sausages £1.69
Flying Goose Srirach (nice mayo sauce) 1.69
Milk 1.09
Chicken Thigh Fillets (2x £2.59)
Corn cobbets 0.99
Pizza 1.59
Bread 0.49
Pasta sauce 2x0.49
Sweetcorn in a can (0.37)
Tomatoes 0.76
Canned veg 0.65
Beans 0.30
Class Crisps £2.59
Forgot some things so went Sainsburys to get Hashbrowns,Cookies and bananas

THe crisps were 30 bags for that price. So I brought them to avoid having to get snacks on campus when I am studying and hopefully will save money
Last edited by SuperHuman98; 3 weeks ago
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I spend more than than per week and I’m a sixth form student for myself 😂
NotNotBatman
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Doesn't look like enough, but if it's enough for you it seems fine.maybe swap canned veg for frozen?
SuperHuman98
Rep:
?
(Original post by NotNotBatman)
Doesn't look like enough, but if it's enough for you it seems fine.maybe swap canned veg for frozen?
Usually I get frozen. but tbh I don't eat enough vegetables in general. I also already have a decent supply of rice/pasta before this shop.

What am I lacking. I am guessing im just lacking Vegetables/fruit right?
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
Usually I get frozen. but tbh I don't eat enough vegetables in general. I also already have a decent supply of rice/pasta before this shop.

Yes, if you're trying to be healthy you really need to add some fruit and vegetables. Frozen veg is fine (and often better than fresh) - peas, sweetcorn, broccoli, green beans, spinach - all great. Cabbage is good this time of year. Fabulous navel oranges come into season soon, which are always a treat.
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SuperHuman98)

You powerlift right? Just make sure you get your nutrients in and don't be like those guys who are insanely strong but cant jog for 5 mins. Don't really see the point of that.

I'd say fruit and veg, but understand that perishables get expensive.

Most shopping lists don't look like enough to me tbf, I mean I'd eat around 4, but people seem to eat less than I do.

£2.59 seem a bit much for thighs, what's its weight, also what are you using the Oats for if you don't mind me asking?
SuperHuman98
Rep:
?
(Original post by NotNotBatman)
You powerlift right? Just make sure you get your nutrients in and don't be like those guys who are insanely strong but cant jog for 5 mins. Don't really see the point of that.

I'd say fruit and veg, but understand that perishables get expensive.

Most shopping lists don't look like enough to me tbf, I mean I'd eat around 4, but people seem to eat less than I do.

£2.59 seem a bit much for thighs, what's its weight, also what are you using the Oats for if you don't mind me asking?
Yeah, and right now I am able to bulk up on about 2400 calories a day but as I gain weight I am going to need to eat more. My new programme has some conditioning in it so don't worry.

Using the oats for breakfast before I was having cereal instead (with eggs and protein shake for breakfast) but figured I would save way more money on oats instead and get some extra protein macros.

Its the chicken thighs from Lidl which are 590g. I also forgot to include Diced Chicken Breast in that list which I have used to make 5 lunches worth of chicken sandwiches
Last edited by SuperHuman98; 3 weeks ago
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Budget wise that's fine, £20 a week is about what you wanna aspire toward. Any less would mean you'd have to get very inventive with your cooking.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (368)
44.39%
No (87)
10.49%
I'm not old enough (374)
45.11%

Watched Threads