The Student Room Group

Birth control queries

Hi so ive been on birth control for around 2 years, and ive experienced no side effects or nothing bad really apart from mood swings. However im in a long distance relationship and know i wont be having sex with anyone for around 2 years, so do i stop taking the pill? Would it be good for my body? Im just thinking i dont wanna keep the pill in my system for ages incase it damages my body or fertility. However i also know its not good to keep changing what goes in and out of your body, cos i would want to go back on birth control when im with my boyfriend in the future, but for now im wondering is there any need for me to keep taking it? I do suffer from moderate acne (Caused by the first type of birth control i was on) and this new pill has worked wonders for my skin so im scared if i stop tbe pill my skin will return to being REALLY BAD. please helppp, im just so conflicted
Reply 1
Original post by Erincora
Hi so ive been on birth control for around 2 years, and ive experienced no side effects or nothing bad really apart from mood swings. However im in a long distance relationship and know i wont be having sex with anyone for around 2 years, so do i stop taking the pill? Would it be good for my body? Im just thinking i dont wanna keep the pill in my system for ages incase it damages my body or fertility. However i also know its not good to keep changing what goes in and out of your body, cos i would want to go back on birth control when im with my boyfriend in the future, but for now im wondering is there any need for me to keep taking it? I do suffer from moderate acne (Caused by the first type of birth control i was on) and this new pill has worked wonders for my skin so im scared if i stop tbe pill my skin will return to being REALLY BAD. please helppp, im just so conflicted

See your doctor is actually the best idea assuming that you are not sexually active at all. Your Gp needs a visit from you!
Personally, I would stop it if I didn't need it for contraception. No idea what type of pill you are on, but the combined pill does slightly increase you risk of getting breast cancer and clots and stuff so unless you actually need it, I personally wouldn't want to increase my chances of getting those. But obviously, if you think it has helped you skin, that might be a good reason to keep taking it (though you could alway stop taking and see what happens).

Yeah, speaking to your doctor might be a good idea...
Reply 3
Original post by black tea
Personally, I would stop it if I didn't need it for contraception. No idea what type of pill you are on, but the combined pill does slightly increase you risk of getting breast cancer and clots and stuff so unless you actually need it, I personally wouldn't want to increase my chances of getting those. But obviously, if you think it has helped you skin, that might be a good reason to keep taking it (though you could alway stop taking and see what happens).

Yeah, speaking to your doctor might be a good idea...

Yeah im on the combined pill ‘lucette’ i think its called, its recommended for people with problematic skin. Thanks a lot, i’ll definitely have to book an appointment!
Reply 4
Original post by mgi
See your doctor is actually the best idea assuming that you are not sexually active at all. Your Gp needs a visit from you!

Thanks so much definitely smartest thing to do :smile:
Coming on and off the birth control pill will not affect your fertility.
I recently stopped the pill and felt so good - I didn't realise how low I'd been feeling.
You are able to take a break from the pill whenever you would like - however each time you restart the pill the first 7 days has a slightly higher risk of blood clots - if this is a concern for you.

Quick Reply

Latest