Being corrected in a rude way Watch

Flyingaround
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I understand if i'm being corrected by a polite person.

Example today in USA (just arrived)
I went to a burger place. I've never used the word Patty before to describe the round thing in between bread.

I just query the cheese burger.
I ask for 2 burgers in the bun and no cheese.

The staff replies "Patties!"

Don't like to be made to feel dumb or maybe it's my mindset that's calling myself dumb but either way there's a polite way to help someone.

Am I bad for not knowing this word?
-Imperator-
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Flyingaround)
I understand if i'm being corrected by a polite person.

Example today in USA (just arrived)
I went to a burger place. I've never used the word Patty before to describe the round thing in between bread.

Don't like to be made to feel dumb or maybe it's my mindset that's calling myself dumb but either way there's a polite way to help someone.

No.
Honestly this is the kind of thing you need to just not care about and forget - the staff member sure as hell will have done =P
Flyingaround
Rep:
?
(Original post by -Imperator-)
No.
Honestly this is the kind of thing you need to just not care about and forget - the staff member sure as hell will have done =P
I guess if it can happen to any of us
Surnia
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Just wait til you ask for 'coke' in certain fast food joints; I got a disapproving look and had it corrected to 'cola'! I thought it was funny when I realised why.

In the US a patty is the meat and a burger is a patty in a bun, so you asked for 2 burgers in buns in a bun; move on. But make sure you are up to speed on what vest and pants means over there!
Appirition
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No you're no bad for not knowing this word.
American English and British English languages are quite different - far more than many people realise.
I've been to the USA a few times and soon realised some people over there are super nice to the point of being over polite by British standards, and some people are really arrogant. Sadly it seems like you came across one of the latter.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Appirition)
American English and British English languages are quite different
There's English and American. "British English" doesn't make sense - it's English from England. It's my mission to teach other Americans, English.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 2 weeks ago
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

You could have replied that Patty would have to buy her own ..
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I guess if it can happen to any of us
Don't ask for a rubber then!
Mr Aitch
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you want to make their heads explode, when they bid you: "Have a nice day", reply: "Thanks - but I have other plans..."

A
Woosaa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Dont mean to be rude but what type of country uses the word PATTIES? Sound like a bunch of panzys to me!

They spell colour color?

And over use the letter z in their dictionary?
Flyingaround
Rep:
?
(Original post by Surnia)
Just wait til you ask for 'coke' in certain fast food joints; I got a disapproving look and had it corrected to 'cola'! I thought it was funny when I realised why.

In the US a patty is the meat and a burger is a patty in a bun, so you asked for 2 burgers in buns in a bun; move on. But make sure you are up to speed on what vest and pants means over there!
It's not your fault, Maybe you only wanted Coke the brand and yeah we all say coke. I have no problem in asia when i say coke.

haha that would be more funny. yeah i don't know why she was more moody to me than the next customer. I remember when i last came to usa and asked for a rubber instead of eraser. I once went into sb coffee and asked for a Coffee with milk lol i'm basic when it comes to interacting. The only time i like to speak Italian is when i am in Italy where I just went and feel comfortable speaking some new words. If someone gets a word wrong it should be corrected nicely not in an angry way.
Last edited by Flyingaround; 2 weeks ago
Flyingaround
Rep:
?
(Original post by Appirition)
No you're no bad for not knowing this word.
American English and British English languages are quite different - far more than many people realise.
I've been to the USA a few times and soon realised some people over there are super nice to the point of being over polite by British standards, and some people are really arrogant. Sadly it seems like you came across one of the latter.
Yes and it was right after i was in the airport BK fast food place where i asked for a menu and she just pointed upwards to the signs. Could barely see a price and it hadn't got the things i wanted. So it was a snowball effect to the day. I didn't realise they don't do a price list anymore.
OR321
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Shouldn’t you be enjoying your trip to the USA rather than posting this lmao
Flyingaround
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
There's English and American. "British English" doesn't make sense - it's English from England. It's my mission to teach other Americans, English.
(Original post by RogerOxon)
You could have replied that Patty would have to buy her own ..
haha
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
Don't ask for a rubber then!
Oh i did that once
(Original post by Mr Aitch)
If you want to make their heads explode, when they bid you: "Have a nice day", reply: "Thanks - but I have other plans..."

A
oh she never had any pleasantries to me. She Smiled at the next customer though
DiddyDecAlt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
oh she never had any pleasantries to me. She Smiled at the next customer though
Some Americans don't like the English, something about burning down the White House.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (73)
19.73%
Labour (178)
48.11%
Liberal Democrats (52)
14.05%
Green Party (22)
5.95%
Brexit Party (5)
1.35%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.81%
SNP (8)
2.16%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.81%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.62%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (2)