Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Littlegeekgirl_)
English Literature
Law
Sociology
Honestly depends what course and range of unis you're applying to. Top top unis may find it an issue as they're competitive and the rest will be ok.
1st superstar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
what job do you want to do in the future? and tbh the only one I find unappealing is English Literature
stillcrying
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 1st superstar)
what job do you want to do in the future? and tbh the only one I find unappealing is English Literature
English Literature is a facilitating subject so don’t listen to this person. Law is probably the weakest of the three.
1st superstar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
and just do the subjects you enjoy doing
Switch01
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
what r u gonna apply for
Littlegeekgirl_
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by AD490995)
Depends. What are you applying for?
Hopefully criminology and social policy at Birmingham (Russell Group)
Littlegeekgirl_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Switch01)
what r u gonna apply for
If I’m luck HSPS at Cambridge (my predicted grades make this possible) or criminology and social policy at Birmingham
IpsaLoquitur
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Those are perfectly fine for what you are applying for. Cambridge in particular is usually relatively unfussy about what subjects you take when applying for the social sciences (within reason, coughgeneralstudiescough).
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by stillcrying)
English Literature is a facilitating subject so don’t listen to this person. Law is probably the weakest of the three.
No such thing anymore

OP: some places have preferred subjects for certain degree courses, otherwise it's no issue
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The Russell Group have ditched the whole idea of 'facilitating subjects' - please read, and pass on this info to your teachers : https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...s-subjects-hit
Littlegeekgirl_
Rep:
?
(Original post by IpsaLoquitur)
Those are perfectly fine for what you are applying for. Cambridge in particular is usually relatively unfussy about what subjects you take when applying for the social sciences (within reason, coughgeneralstudiescough).
Thank you, this makes me feel a lot better. It’s just because I keep on reading articles saying law is a ‘pointless’ subject looked down on by universities and I felt as though my intelligence and GCSE grades were too high to be doing a ‘pointless subject’ and I was upset for a good month about not picking politics instead because I know I would’ve loved that course
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I keep on reading articles saying law is a ‘pointless’ subject looked down on by universities
Yet another school-leaver myth.
Law is a solid essay based subject and not 'looked down on' at all.

Read this article from one of the exam boards - even Cambridge doesn't have a problem with it- https://media2.aqa.org.uk/content/news/2014-04-15/AQA-W-A-LEVEL-LAW-SUPPORT.PDF
Last edited by returnmigrant; 3 weeks ago
IpsaLoquitur
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ah yes, that perception is based on information almost a decade old. When I applied (2010), law was a very maligned subject because it was new and generally horribly structured and taught. It was true at that point that top universities told you not to take it at open days. However, that is no longer the perception at all as the problems were fixed somewhere along the line. Unfortunately the rumour mill has not caught up.
Littlegeekgirl_
Rep:
?
Ah yes, that perception is based on information almost a decade old. When I applied (2010), law was a very maligned subject because it was new and generally horribly structured and taught. It was true at that point that top universities told you not to take it at open days. However, that is no longer the perception at all as the problems were fixed somewhere along the line. Unfortunately the rumour mill has not caught up.
Did you go to a Russell group university, Did you study law and what were your 2 other Alevels?
IpsaLoquitur
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Did you go to a Russell group university, Did you study law and what were your 2 other Alevels?
I went to Cambridge and did the law BA there. My A-levels were English Language, Maths, Chemistry and History. I didn't know anyone who did the law A-level at the time, because as I say it was maligned when it first came out. That said, I knew lots of people who did sociology and English lit.
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
PS. You need 5 UCAS choices - Bristol, Cardiff, Liverpool, Loughborough, Nottingham etc also offer Social Policy and Criminology.
Littlegeekgirl_
Rep:
?
(Original post by returnmigrant)
PS. You need 5 UCAS choices - Bristol, Cardiff, Liverpool, Loughborough, Nottingham etc also offer Social Policy and Criminology.
Yes I know, Birmingham is just my favourite
Littlegeekgirl_
Rep:
?
I went to Cambridge and did the law BA there. My A-levels were English Language, Maths, Chemistry and History. I didn't know anyone who did the law A-level at the time, because as I say it was maligned when it first came out. That said, I knew lots of people who did sociology and English lit.
Ohh okay
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (359)
45.44%
No (84)
10.63%
I'm not old enough (347)
43.92%

Watched Threads