Most important artists of this decade? Watch

Yukikobestgirl
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Pretty self explanitary title. Who do you think was a super important artist this decade.
For me it's gotta be death grips. They're one of the few bands with a good ammount of attention who pushed music forward and have a super unique sound.
Before exmillitary and their self titled ep I can;t find anything sounding similar hell even now there's only a few but cause they're all experimental they go in their own directions. The Powers That B and The Money Store are easily my two favourite albums of 2010s.

Name:  maxresdefault (14).jpg
Views: 7
Size:  82.0 KB
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Stormzy
Mura Masa
Jake Bugg
Ed Sheerin

Whether you like them or not, you cannot deny their influence.
Yukikobestgirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by barnetlad)
Stormzy
Mura Masa
Jake Bugg
Ed Sheerin

Whether you like them or not, you cannot deny their influence.
Haven't heard of the middle 2 so can't comment on them but I don't think Stormzy and Ed Sheeran have had a huge impact on music tbh.
I guess Stormzy popularised grime but he sounds a lot like his contemparies, Ed Sheeran sounds like a lot of artists too I don't necessarily think their popularity makes them important.

Then again I'm not super familiar with any of these artists or their genres as I tend to stick with heavier more agressive and experimental music.
THE-BLACK-CAT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
BTS
They paved the way for K-pop in the world
Yukikobestgirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by THE-BLACK-CAT)
BTS
They paved the way for K-pop in the world
as funny as it sounds I'd say PSY deserves credit for bringing KPop into the mainstream in the west.
Gangnam style was huge so was Gentleman whcih came years before BTS blew up.
BTS were the biggest but not necessarily the ones that paved the way forward to mainstream acceptance.
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Taylor Swift.
Adele
Kanye West
Lady Gaga
Nicki Minaj
Eminem
Justin Bieber
Rihanna
Beyonce
Katy Perry

(off the top of my head)
IH8Studying
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ariana Grande
Rihanna
Chris Brown
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by IH8Studying)
Ariana Grande
Rihanna
Chris Brown
Agree with Rihanna, borderline on Ariana Grande, Chris Brown 🤮
Last edited by BlueIndigoViolet; 3 weeks ago
Yukikobestgirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
Taylor Swift.
Adele
Kanye West
Lady Gaga
Nicki Minaj
Eminem
Justin Bieber
Rihanna
Beyonce
Katy Perry

(off the top of my head)
Can definitely agree with Kanye here the rest not so much but I've heard Taylor, Adele and Beyonce brought up a bit by fans of pop.
Kanye is actually a good example of Death Grips' influence as Yeezus is clearly inspired by The Money Store. Shame he ended the decade ona **** release

Ariana Grande
Rihanna
Chris Brown
Chris Brown? Outside of freaky friday he seems super irrelevant and certainly didn't seem to push music forward.
The other two I can see why pop fans would say so.
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Yukikobestgirl)
Can definitely agree with Kanye here the rest not so much but I've heard Taylor, Adele and Beyonce brought up a bit by fans of pop.
Kanye is actually a good example of Death Grips' influence as Yeezus is clearly inspired by The Money Store. Shame he ended the decade ona **** release

Chris Brown? Outside of freaky friday he seems super irrelevant and certainly didn't seem to push music forward.
Was going on popularity and number 1 singles this decade so are the biggest names as a measure of influence so very "pop" oriented - can be looked at how they changed music too though - just one aspect
IH8Studying
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Agree with Rihanna, borderline on Ariana Grande, Chris Brown 🤮
Ariana grande’s thank you next album was the top this year and chris brown indigo album is also the top. even rihanna is playing his music

Yukikobestgirl
Rep:
?
Was going on popularity and number 1 singles this decade so are the biggest names as a measure of influence so very "pop" oriented - can be looked at how they changed music too though - just one aspect
yeah should have clarified that
Kanye definetly influenced music this decade but I can't really speak on the others as a metalhead.

Ariana grande’s thank you next album was the top this year and chris brown indigo album is also the top. even rihanna is playing his music
I don't think popularity is really equivalent to their importance imo.
Didn't even know Chris Brown had a new album but Ariana's new album has been getting really good reviews so I could see her being considered so still in a few years.

I should probably clarify my bias tho I mostly listen to stuff like this
IH8Studying
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
yeah should have clarified that
Kanye definetly influenced music this decade but I can't really speak on the others as a metalhead.

I don't think popularity is really equivalent to their importance imo.
Didn't even know Chris Brown had a new album but Ariana's new album has been getting really good reviews so I could see her being considered so still in a few years.

I should probably clarify my bias tho I mostly listen to stuff like this
he is extremely important. he is the king of RNB.

ah i see...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (102)
33.89%
No I don't (138)
45.85%
I work during the holidays (61)
20.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed