The Student Room Group

Higher history help!!

I’ve been given an essay to write in advance to prepare for my prelim. The question is “To what extent did economic problems cause the Rise of the Nazis to power in 1933?” I can’t seem to wrap my head around how to write it. I have written other essays before but the essay plan i have been given is very confusing and hard to understand. Someone please help.
Original post by donutstayonskl
I’ve been given an essay to write in advance to prepare for my prelim. The question is “To what extent did economic problems cause the Rise of the Nazis to power in 1933?” I can’t seem to wrap my head around how to write it. I have written other essays before but the essay plan i have been given is very confusing and hard to understand. Someone please help.

Hi, I did higher history a few years ago( 2016-2017) and got an A overall. I also initially found the structure and timing of the higher source questions and essays difficult as I moved from a different Curriculum.

I wrote my higher history assignment on to what extent did dissatisfaction with the Treaty of Versailles lead to the rise of the Nazi's by 1933?( something along those lines) What part of the structure are you confused about, e.g. content, order, argument, etc? I still have my higher history history notes (literally kept my ring binder and revision notes somewhere in the attic, with a few random things stored on my computer) but haven't looked at them in a few years. But I did find a powerpoint on the rise of the Nazi's that might be a bit helpful, only take what you need from it, it may include stuff that isn't as important- It does include economics and analysis examples,etc. I think I found it online while revising for my exams or researching my assignment in Higher.

For any essay you have your introduction with your background information, then introduce the factors you will be looking at and your main factor, etc.

Then first para: Economic
For economic problems, you could be looking at things like the wall street crash of 1929 ,e.g.
French Belgian troops occupied the Ruhr River Valley - strike hyperinflation- money scrapped
October 1929 Gustav Stresemann -died of a stroke
1928, 12/491, 1930, 108/577, July 1932, 230/608, 37%- Nazi proportion of seats in government- dates after wall street crash their popularity grew.-Wall street crash catalyst

From what I remember we were told to try and have 2-3 bits of new information for each paragraph with evidence to back up and arguments,e.g. you could mention specific historian quotes such as AJP Taylor- Germany 1918- 1939 John Kerr 2003-“It was the great depression that put the wind in Hitler's sails.” or just go with e.g. Therefore, or Some historians... then say why its important.

Para 2: Which ever factor you think was the most important( if you think that economics is not the most important) or factor you think should come next.

For my higher assignment( giving this as I can't really remember the higher exam question or what I did), I had 5 body paragraphs and the order/Structure e.g.=

Introduction
Para 1- Treaty of Versailles
Para 2- Weimar Republic
Para 3- Fascism
Para 4- Economic Crises
Para 5- Political deal
Conclusion

I hope this is a bit helpful, this is just from my head, what I remember and a few things I found. I haven't done history since then and would really recommend asking your history teacher for clarification as they might be the best person to ask seeing as the plan came from them and they know what you need to do. That would probably be the quickest way to clear up any confusion.
Original post by AfricanDream
Hi, I did higher history a few years ago( 2016-2017) and got an A overall. I also initially found the structure and timing of the higher source questions and essays difficult as I moved from a different Curriculum.

I wrote my higher history assignment on to what extent did dissatisfaction with the Treaty of Versailles lead to the rise of the Nazi's by 1933?( something along those lines) What part of the structure are you confused about, e.g. content, order, argument, etc? I still have my higher history history notes (literally kept my ring binder and revision notes somewhere in the attic, with a few random things stored on my computer) but haven't looked at them in a few years. But I did find a powerpoint on the rise of the Nazi's that might be a bit helpful, only take what you need from it, it may include stuff that isn't as important- It does include economics and analysis examples,etc. I think I found it online while revising for my exams or researching my assignment in Higher.

For any essay you have your introduction with your background information, then introduce the factors you will be looking at and your main factor, etc.

Then first para: Economic
For economic problems, you could be looking at things like the wall street crash of 1929 ,e.g.
French Belgian troops occupied the Ruhr River Valley - strike hyperinflation- money scrapped
October 1929 Gustav Stresemann -died of a stroke
1928, 12/491, 1930, 108/577, July 1932, 230/608, 37%- Nazi proportion of seats in government- dates after wall street crash their popularity grew.-Wall street crash catalyst

From what I remember we were told to try and have 2-3 bits of new information for each paragraph with evidence to back up and arguments,e.g. you could mention specific historian quotes such as AJP Taylor- Germany 1918- 1939 John Kerr 2003-“It was the great depression that put the wind in Hitler's sails.” or just go with e.g. Therefore, or Some historians... then say why its important.

Para 2: Which ever factor you think was the most important( if you think that economics is not the most important) or factor you think should come next.

For my higher assignment( giving this as I can't really remember the higher exam question or what I did), I had 5 body paragraphs and the order/Structure e.g.=

Introduction
Para 1- Treaty of Versailles
Para 2- Weimar Republic
Para 3- Fascism
Para 4- Economic Crises
Para 5- Political deal
Conclusion

I hope this is a bit helpful, this is just from my head, what I remember and a few things I found. I haven't done history since then and would really recommend asking your history teacher for clarification as they might be the best person to ask seeing as the plan came from them and they know what you need to do. That would probably be the quickest way to clear up any confusion.

This is actually really helped me understand it a lot more thank you. I did my national five in fourth year ( last year ) but unfortunately i failed. So this year i’m crashing higher history which is obviously a lot harder. So thank you for explaining and for the powerpoint. Means a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending