MKA345
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I can never find anyone who has studied creative computing, been to open days and the person who was supposed to be representing that department was not there. I have contacted universities such as goldsmith and queens mary to find out about the course but i really want to hear from a students perspective.

thank you
( Plus I never really know what forum these creative computing questions should go in)
oKeeffeKahlo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am in the same situation, I wanna study cc too
MKA345
Rep:
?
(Original post by oKeeffeKahlo)
I am in the same situation, I wanna study cc too
oh cool I rarely find anyone who wants to study the course. what universitys are you thinking of.
oKeeffeKahlo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
only ual and goldsmiths, wbu?
MKA345
Rep:
?
Goldsmith or university of Leicester
Goldsmiths, University of London
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MKA345)
I can never find anyone who has studied creative computing, been to open days and the person who was supposed to be representing that department was not there. I have contacted universities such as goldsmith and queens mary to find out about the course but i really want to hear from a students perspective.

thank you
( Plus I never really know what forum these creative computing questions should go in)
Hi there!

I don't know if you've already seen this, but we've got a great video of a Creative Computing student discussing the programme with one of the tutors on the Goldsmiths Youtube channel! You can find it here.

Additionally, you can see some examples of student work from the Creative Computing course at the following links:

Wobble – By Johan & Cormac - an environmental synthesizer which scans its location and interprets light and topographical information to produce sound

ADDA - a musical performance that uses embodied technologies and muscle stimulation hardware

Un-Reactable - an interactive installation using gesture and expression to explore sound scapes

Hope this helps, but if you have any other questions feel free to let me know
dermo80145
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Heya, postgrad here, what would you like to know?
MKA345
Rep:
?
(Original post by dermo80145)
Heya, postgrad here, what would you like to know?
Hey well probably to start of do you enjoy the course are there any aspects of the course that you found challenging also what sort of career do you feel you want to go into .

Plus what uni do you attend thanks
dermo80145
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm a postgrad at UAL CCi and part of their first cohort. I do enjoy it and don't regret choosing this over my Goldsmiths offer. Love the fact that we all have different backgrounds. Personally I wouldn't consider Queen Mary or Leicester for anything creative.

It's probably amongst the most technical courses you can find at any art uni, although it definitely isn't a computer science MSc. There is a focus on the concept and artistic trajectory, academic research, alongside code-heavy courses. As you can imagine, trying to cram all of this in little over a year is quite the challenge but I am generally pleased with the balance. Perhaps this goes without saying but pay attention to whether the course you apply for is an MA or MSC, it's indicative of the departments focus, art or tech.

I myself have a background in interaction and media design. Being both a designer and developer is definitely a nice position to be in. Also, there is some fascinating art happening in the tech sector.

Hope this helps!
Last edited by dermo80145; 1 year ago
MKA345
Rep:
?
Yeah this has been very helpful thanks for the reply
oKeeffeKahlo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I chose UAL first and Goldsmiths second even if I had a scholarship there. At UAL they seemed to care more about broader subjects like feminism, equality, philosophy, AI ethics etc. Goldsmiths was 100% middle aged men led (from what I saw) and I felt super uncomfortable.

Goldsmiths is nice because the area is good, the architecture is nicer and there are other students from other different subjects, not just only art. I am an art foundation student from Central Saint Martins so I'm used to seeing whacky cool art. But at Goldsmiths they showed us some projects the students made and they seemed uninteresting. The concepts behind the pieces were so obvious, and obviously taken from really mainstream video games like super mario etc. This led me to think that the tutors may have not pushed the students enough? like not pushed them to come up with more complex ideas?

Whereas in UAL had some craazy projects the students had made which were so interesting. The talk they gave us at UAL was super inspiring, they talked about ethics and changing the world through code haha, which may be a bit naive for some people but honestly I loved the vibe there. They seemed like they wanted to support us as much as possible, especially if you had dyslexia or some other issue. They also had more women teaching which was A PRO, and they seemed very supportive about me (a girl haha) studying there as they really were interested in diversifying the industry. I also went to a party thing they hosted to show Investors/future students what they had achieved that year. It was very bougie haha loads of lovely food, free wine, nice waiters etc. There were also loads of rich-looking people which I assumed were investors. I also heard that the Camberwell council was involved with the CII at UAL as they wanted to make the area a tech zone? or something like that. AND I heard through the grapevine that Goldsmiths on the other hand is having some financial difficulties kjskjs I feel like I'm gossiping haha. Plus UAL is ranked N1 in the world for undergraduate degrees and N2 for all courses. UAL is very prestigious, even outside of Europe. Goldsmiths is kinda only known in the UK or if you've watched Skins and remember Naomi going there haha.

Also, I think that Phoenix Perry (lovely lady, so inspiring) wrote most or all of the degree in Goldsmiths? and she is now working at UAL. She also has some Ted Talks and interviews on youtube so you can check them out to get the feel of UAL.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (88)
38.1%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (25)
10.82%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (17)
7.36%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (56)
24.24%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (28)
12.12%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
7.36%

Watched Threads