Anyone who hasn't finished their personal statements? Watch

thatguyZero
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi,

We got like a month and a bit before the UCAS deadlines.

I still haven't finished my personal statement but I'm so close!!!

Anyone in the same boat as me? XD
C'est me
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes, and I'm struggling to write something. Its either a dragged out sentimental piece or too impersonal haha
onequestion805
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes sir
ktshilling
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yup, haven’t finished either😅 struggling to cut it down! I’m on like 4,600 characters!! Every time I try and cut it down I just end up adding more :/
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Nope I sent my application off in early October.
aphamanda
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sending mines tonight!!!
aphamanda
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Also half of my friends haven’t even started theirs so you’re far ahead of a lot of personal. Good luck!
areyouhuman
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm on my second draft of my personal statement. It's currently 960 words long so i have a tonnss to cut down on >.<
I'm handing it in to my teacher tomorrow to check over though so hopefully she'll help me :')
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yep gonna finish mine the end of the week for better or worse.
username5036440
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by C'est me)
Yes, and I'm struggling to write something. Its either a dragged out sentimental piece or too impersonal haha
Why is this so ****ing me?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
I literally wrote a melodramatic piece and then realised I was writing a PS and not a love letter lmao
Harvey2019
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm in y12 and we were told today to start writing ours and have a draft version for next week. I have no idea where i am going to start
C'est me
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Numb & Dumb)
Why is this so ****ing me?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
I literally wrote a melodramatic piece and then realised I was writing a PS and not a love letter lmao
I don't think the uni will mind a love letter. As long as you're sucking up to them they'll be happy haha
username5036440
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by C'est me)
I don't think the uni will mind a love letter. As long as you're sucking up to them they'll be happy haha
First thing I read this morning and it made me chuckle.
Last edited by username5036440; 3 weeks ago
justanother0ne
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I've only got 2300 characters and hope to finish it off to send before December
badSmelll
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I've heard rumours that the universities don't really care about the personal statement (they're generally more interested in your grades). They only use it to confirm you're not retarded. This was somewhat confirmed when a lecturer from Kent university told me not to worry about the personal statement because they practically skim read it. My friend who went to Cambridge taster day also had a lecturer say that they don't care about the ps, extracurricular etc merely the grades. But tbh for oxbridge you've got the interviews so you're gonna need a pretty beefy one. tl;dr don't stress about the personal statement because many universities just care about the grades
aphamanda
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by badSmelll)
I've heard rumours that the universities don't really care about the personal statement (they're generally more interested in your grades). They only use it to confirm you're not retarded. This was somewhat confirmed when a lecturer from Kent university told me not to worry about the personal statement because they practically skim read it. My friend who went to Cambridge taster day also had a lecturer say that they don't care about the ps, extracurricular etc merely the grades. But tbh for oxbridge you've got the interviews so you're gonna need a pretty beefy one. tl;dr don't stress about the personal statement because many universities just care about the grades
Both Edinburgh and Glasgow said the same when I visited
Riyeria
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Nope I sent my application off in early October.
SoDarkSoCold
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
MMEEEEE!!! And tbh I just want to get it over and done with. It is killing me:cry:
Faeeza.Ifti
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
lol haven't even started fml. I am a train wreck
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by badSmelll)
This is pretty much true.
The barrier to entry is mostly based on what grades you get in August, and checking for no red flags. (this is NOT the case for competitive course, if your applying for somewhere where less than 70% of applicants get offers then more consideration will be given...)

But as long as your PS is on point, reasonable, about your subject, clear, grammatically correct you should be fine. Its very hard to quantify a PS whereas grades are inherently quantifiable. That said subjects like medicine, economics etc. it is more important.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (411)
43.72%
No (98)
10.43%
I'm not old enough (431)
45.85%

Watched Threads