The Student Room Group

Anyone who hasn't finished their personal statements?

Hi,

We got like a month and a bit before the UCAS deadlines.

I still haven't finished my personal statement but I'm so close!!!

Anyone in the same boat as me? XD

Scroll to see replies

Yes, and I'm struggling to write something. Its either a dragged out sentimental piece or too impersonal haha
Yes sir
Yup, haven’t finished either😅 struggling to cut it down! I’m on like 4,600 characters!! Every time I try and cut it down I just end up adding more :/
Reply 4
Nope I sent my application off in early October.
Sending mines tonight!!!
Also half of my friends haven’t even started theirs so you’re far ahead of a lot of personal. Good luck!
I'm on my second draft of my personal statement. It's currently 960 words long so i have a tonnss to cut down on >.<
I'm handing it in to my teacher tomorrow to check over though so hopefully she'll help me :')
Reply 8
Yep gonna finish mine the end of the week for better or worse.
Original post by C'est me
Yes, and I'm struggling to write something. Its either a dragged out sentimental piece or too impersonal haha

Why is this so ****ing me?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
I literally wrote a melodramatic piece and then realised I was writing a PS and not a love letter lmao
I'm in y12 and we were told today to start writing ours and have a draft version for next week. I have no idea where i am going to start :smile::smile:
Original post by Numb & Dumb
Why is this so ****ing me?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
I literally wrote a melodramatic piece and then realised I was writing a PS and not a love letter lmao

I don't think the uni will mind a love letter. As long as you're sucking up to them they'll be happy haha
Original post by C'est me
I don't think the uni will mind a love letter. As long as you're sucking up to them they'll be happy haha

First thing I read this morning and it made me chuckle. :biggrin:
(edited 4 years ago)
I've only got 2300 characters and hope to finish it off to send before December :smile:
I've heard rumours that the universities don't really care about the personal statement (they're generally more interested in your grades). They only use it to confirm you're not retarded. This was somewhat confirmed when a lecturer from Kent university told me not to worry about the personal statement because they practically skim read it. My friend who went to Cambridge taster day also had a lecturer say that they don't care about the ps, extracurricular etc merely the grades. But tbh for oxbridge you've got the interviews so you're gonna need a pretty beefy one. tl;dr don't stress about the personal statement because many universities just care about the grades
Original post by badSmelll
I've heard rumours that the universities don't really care about the personal statement (they're generally more interested in your grades). They only use it to confirm you're not retarded. This was somewhat confirmed when a lecturer from Kent university told me not to worry about the personal statement because they practically skim read it. My friend who went to Cambridge taster day also had a lecturer say that they don't care about the ps, extracurricular etc merely the grades. But tbh for oxbridge you've got the interviews so you're gonna need a pretty beefy one. tl;dr don't stress about the personal statement because many universities just care about the grades

Both Edinburgh and Glasgow said the same when I visited
Reply 16
Original post by Deggs_14
Nope I sent my application off in early October.

:smile:
MMEEEEE!!! And tbh I just want to get it over and done with. It is killing me:cry:
lol haven't even started fml. I am a train wreck
Original post by badSmelll

This is pretty much true.
The barrier to entry is mostly based on what grades you get in August, and checking for no red flags. (this is NOT the case for competitive course, if your applying for somewhere where less than 70% of applicants get offers then more consideration will be given...)

But as long as your PS is on point, reasonable, about your subject, clear, grammatically correct you should be fine. Its very hard to quantify a PS whereas grades are inherently quantifiable. That said subjects like medicine, economics etc. it is more important.

Quick Reply

Latest