Physics and maths and further maths as an alevel? Watch

ArtmisKco
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Are they easier because you do further matsh along with maths?
JakeTSR
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I’ve heard that further maths isn’t really much of an extension of maths. Only one topic requires A-Level maths prerequisite knowledge. The rest, although harder, is not linked so much. So they may improve your mathematical skills but not so much directly help with the content. It definitely helps to take maths if you take physics though.
Last edited by JakeTSR; 3 months ago
ArtmisKco
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by JakeTSR)
I’ve heard that further maths isn’t really much of an extension of maths. Only one topic requires A-Level maths prerequisite knowledge. The rest, although harder, is not linked so much. So they may improve your mathematical skills but not so much directly help with the content. It definitely helps to take maths if you take physics though.
Ah that so? I have a friend who’s a year younger and thinking of taking that combination of subjects. Do you think that it is best to do further maths anyway? Or to do another subject?
JakeTSR
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ArtmisKco)
Ah that so? I have a friend who’s a year younger and thinking of taking that combination of subjects. Do you think that it is best to do further maths anyway? Or to do another subject?
If they want to study maths or physics at uni then yea they should take it. Otherwise they should only really take if they enjoy it or are interested in it, as with every other subject.
-Imperator-
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Are they easier because you do further matsh along with maths?
They actually can be: in my course there was a lot of overlap between physics and the mechanics modules in maths/further maths. Doing maths & further maths made all the calculation questions in physics really easy.
nutz99
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Is he going to go to uni if so does he know what he wants to do there. If he is exceptional at Maths then Further Maths will be an easier option than taking a completely unconnected subject.

Physics, Maths and Further Maths are good A level subjects for degrees in Maths, Engineering or even Computer Science.
RufusA
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
One small caveat, some universities will treat maths and further maths as overlapping subjects for courses without a very heavy mathematics content. So if there is a possibility you don't want to do maths, physics, engineering or similar at university it might be worth checking universities you are interested in carefully for entry requirements.

e.g. picking a random competitive university (LSE) they state:

Some degree programmes at the School are highly mathematical in content and therefore Mathematics A-level or equivalent is a requirement. A number of programmes also require a qualification in Further Mathematics (where available), or consider one helpful. However, the combination of Mathematics, Further Mathematics plus one other subject is considered insufficiently broad for many of our programmes. Please refer to the degree programme pages and/or the table below for details on Further Mathematics and its acceptability for each programme.
-Imperator-
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by RufusA)
One small caveat, some universities will treat maths and further maths as overlapping subjects for courses without a very heavy mathematics content. So if there is a possibility you don't want to do maths, physics, engineering or similar at university it might be worth checking universities you are interested in carefully for entry requirements.

e.g. picking a random competitive university (LSE) they state:

Some degree programmes at the School are highly mathematical in content and therefore Mathematics A-level or equivalent is a requirement. A number of programmes also require a qualification in Further Mathematics (where available), or consider one helpful. However, the combination of Mathematics, Further Mathematics plus one other subject is considered insufficiently broad for many of our programmes. Please refer to the degree programme pages and/or the table below for details on Further Mathematics and its acceptability for each programme.
Obviously LSE want you to have done an essay-writing subject for some of their courses. Maths, Further Maths, and Physics is a great combo for a wide variety of degrees. At this stage you shouldn't need to keep all your options open.
That said, the school I went to made us do minimum 4 A Levels if we took further maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (108)
59.02%
Yes- I don't like it (9)
4.92%
No- I want it (52)
28.42%
No- I don't want it (14)
7.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise