The Student Room Group

I Wish I Hadn't Stayed At Home

My uni's in Glasgow Central, so extremely expensive to live in. I'm an introverted mature student at 25 so I don't want to be in student accommodation. I've heard from a lot of people that it really is party central. My mum's bf is a takeaway delivery driver, and his main clients are students who are up partying from like, 1-5 in the morning. I stayed home (hour commute away) to save money, but I resent the amount of time it's taken up, the fact I'm really struggling to get a social life going, and everything I'm missing out on. I think it'd be so much easier to be a better student if I was living near.

I don't know what to do... I get £750 a month and so many flats are around £500-£600?

I think what it'd be ideal is if I could make friends and flat-share, if I can pay around £400 a month... Then I feel I could live quite happily, as long as I don't go out too often and home cook. :smile:

But honestly, I just want to be near Uni so I can use so much more time for studying, and take part in more uni things to put on my CV. I made the wrong choice.
My uni's in Glasgow Central, so extremely expensive to live in. I'm an introverted mature student at 25 so I don't want to be in student accommodation. I've heard from a lot of people that it really is party central. My mum's bf is a takeaway delivery driver, and his main clients are students who are up partying from like, 1-5 in the morning. I stayed home (hour commute away) to save money, but I resent the amount of time it's taken up, the fact I'm really struggling to get a social life going, and everything I'm missing out on. I think it'd be so much easier to be a better student if I was living near.

I don't know what to do... I get £750 a month and so many flats are around £500-£600?

I think what it'd be ideal is if I could make friends and flat-share, if I can pay around £400 a month... Then I feel I could live quite happily, as long as I don't go out too often and home cook. :smile:

But honestly, I just want to be near Uni so I can use so much more time for studying, and take part in more uni things to put on my CV. I made the wrong choice.
I rent a 1 bed flat in the east end of Glasgow for £350 (plus bills etc). It's about a 25 min bus ride or 10 mins on the train to central for me. So maybe look in the east? Or you could look for house or flat shares but it'd be with strangers.
I'm at Strathclyde so I get where you're coming from, flats in the centre are pretty expensive and I'd say you'd be lucky to get a furnished one for £600pcm +bills within walking distance significantly less than your current commute. Last year I managed to bag a studio at Merchant Studios which is 5-10 minutes away for £615 inc. bills which was an absolute steal, the studios closer to Cale are about £100+ more than that. I'm in a flat share at the moment paying £400pcm+bills which is a 20 minute walk away, and that was the cheapest I could find in a reasonable distance without living in areas which were either advised against or were 15-20 minutes away from the nearest shop, or in flats which weren't fit for purpose. I hope that gives you an idea of what your situation would be like.

In terms of social life, if you're having problems I'd consider that's because you had problems before starting university and are, to an extent, blaming that on your commute. If you're a mature student living at home it's unlikely that you would lose any social life as your old friends would still be around you. If that's the case you might want to try making friends like a normal adult first rather than as a student as it's going to save you that extra money you would otherwise spend on rent.
Original post by Ashfire45

Does your university have a Facebook Freshers group you can join? Many people post in these types of groups about spare rooms/flats that are available or you could always reach out and post directly to ask if anyone knows of anything.
Your SU should also have connections with local landlords who could advise on anything that is available within your price range.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending