The Student Room Group

Prince Andrew used the N-word, former No 10 aide claims

Prince Andrew has been accused of using the N-word in a conversation with a senior political aide.

The claim was made Rohan Silva, a former aide to David Cameron, who met the prince at Buckingham Palace in 2012.

Silva asked the Queen’s son whether the government department responsible for trade “could be doing a better job”, according to the Evening Standard.

He claims the prince responded: “Well, if you’ll pardon the expression, that really is the [N-word] in the woodpile.”

The same phrase was used by Conservative MP Anne Marie Morris in 2017, prompting the party to suspend for her for several months.

Silva, who is from a Sri Lankan background, said he “walked blinking into the sunshine outside Buckingham Palace, reeling at the prince’s use of language” after the meeting.

“For a long time afterwards I kicked myself for not confronting the prince on his choice of words and it’s something I still regret today. He clearly wasn’t taken to task very often by the people around him, which meant offensive language could go unchallenged.”

He said this was the second Buckingham Palace meeting with Andrew where he had felt uncomfortable with the language used.

Silva claimed the previous year that Andrew told him in another discussion on trade policy: “What you have got to remember is that you’ll never get anywhere by playing the white man.”

Silva added: “I genuinely didn’t know what he meant, and the discussion moved on. But the phrase ‘playing the white man’ stuck in my head, as I’d never heard it before. So when I got back to my desk, I immediately googled it. The definition flashed up on my screen: an old-fashioned saying, used during colonial times, meaning that only white people can be trusted to follow the rules, unlike dark-skinned natives.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/nov/18/prince-andrew-used-n-word-former-no-10-aide-claims

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why is this 'news'?
Lots of people claim lots of things to suit their own agenda
It’s human nature.
Doesn’t always mean it’s true
We’ve heard one side so we can’t possibly know.
Jumping on the bandwagon
What was an aide doing asking a member of the royal family about day to day politics? I thought the whole point is that Government and Royalty are fairly separate.
Reply 5
Original post by AngeryPenguin
Prince Andrew has been accused of using the N-word in a conversation with a senior political aide.

Off with his head!
Original post by Andrew97
Nobody cares.

I care!
Reply 7
It's a bad time to be called Andrew...

He's always been a tool
disgusting ...
don't care.
Let's be honest here, literally no one is shocked or surprised... like, at all.
old posh man says outdated and offensive thing.. scoop of the century right there.

What do you want to happen now? that's kind of the thing with royals, its not easy to fire them!

---

Its about as un-shocking as him using his possition to have sex with a young attractive blond girl..
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
What was an aide doing asking a member of the royal family about day to day politics? I thought the whole point is that Government and Royalty are fairly separate.

Andrew was the UK's international trade envoy 2001-2011
Original post by Joinedup

I see, thank you for the clarification.
When someone's on the ropes, there's always these sort of 'accusations' which pop up. They're just that - accusations. Easy to accuse someone who doesn't really have an opportunity to defend themselves.

Baseless bullshît. I don't like the pile on with Andrew. He might be an idiot, but so is 99.9% of TSR - we don't all get dragged through the media for the pleasure of a baying mob because of indiscretions and poor decisions.
Original post by Joinedup

Shocking in itself really ....but as for him using racist language, I wouldn't be suprised. Just look who his father is!
Original post by harrysbar
Shocking in itself really ....but as for him using racist language, I wouldn't be suprised. Just look who his father is!

I think everyone concerned though that giving him a job would help to keep him out of trouble
This is a man who considers dictators, autocrats, peadophiles and murderers as his close friends. This is a man involved in lots of shady business deals. This is a man repeatedly dogged by sexual misconduct allegations.

The use of the N word is the least of this man's failings.
Original post by Reality Check
When someone's on the ropes, there's always these sort of 'accusations' which pop up. They're just that - accusations. Easy to accuse someone who doesn't really have an opportunity to defend themselves.

Baseless bullshît. I don't like the pile on with Andrew. He might be an idiot, but so is 99.9% of TSR - we don't all get dragged through the media for the pleasure of a baying mob because of indiscretions and poor decisions.

Most people will forget about his story in a few days, old people being racist whether intentionally or not is kind of expected.
Original post by Kitten in boots
This is a man who considers dictators, autocrats, peadophiles and murderers as his close friends. This is a man involved in lots of shady business deals. This is a man repeatedly dogged by sexual misconduct allegations.

The use of the N word is the least of this man's failings.

So he's in the company of pretty much 90% of the world's politicians

Quick Reply

Latest